Gold Supporter
May 20, 2018
SE, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just bought a new VSP to replace a single speed pump. It needs 220. My breakers (2 each) have 120/240 vac, HACR Type, 2 pole J-970 printed on them, does that mean that they are 220?172E30DD-E266-472B-8B6D-7D99E8D7E0EC.jpeg

Is the pump breaker 20 amps?

You can replace the breaker with a GFCI breaker compatible with your panel.

Is the pump breaker 20 amps?

You can replace the breaker with a GFCI breaker compatible with your panel.
Not sure about the pump breaker, will have to check. I am by no means an electrician so to make sure I am reading you correctly, I should replace the outside one with a gfci breaker? Or can I just replace the inside one with a gfci or to be on the safe side replace both inside and outside with a gfci? Sorry for so many simple questions, just want to be safe and sure.

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you're asking these questions then you need to hire an electrician.

It's not that I think you (or anybody) can't learn this, but at this moment you don't know it and working in the panel is not how you start learning. Being safe and sure in your situation means paying someone who knows the answer to these questions to do it.

Reactions: damdan
Probably not what you want to hear, but if you're asking these questions then you need to hire an electrician.

It's not that I think you (or anybody) can't learn this, but at this moment you don't know it and working in the panel is not how you start learning. Being safe and sure in your situation means paying someone who knows the answer to these questions to do it.
I have replaced breakers before, I just want to make sure I use the correct ones.

I have replaced breakers before, I just want to make sure I use the correct ones.
If you can't even tell the difference between 120 and 240 breakers, then no you should not be doing this. I don't care if you have done it before, if you have to ask that question then you shouldn't be doing it.

Using the wrong breakers can cause a fire in your panel. If you have to ask a pool forum which breakers to use, you are NOT QUALIFIED to do the job.

Reactions: proavia
If you can't even tell the difference between 120 and 240 breakers, then no you should not be doing this. I don't care if you have done it before, if you have to ask that question then you shouldn't be doing it.

Using the wrong breakers can cause a fire in your panel. If you have to ask a pool forum which breakers to use, you are NOT QUALIFIED to do the job.
Point taken. I will go somewhere else for help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.