DIY WiFi enabled PID controlled hot tub control system - Anybody wanna help?

SpaMods

Dec 11, 2021
Arkansas
I have a 2012 HotSprings Jetsetter SPA that the Top side controller lcd went dark, no replacements found yet. I don't plan to pay Watkins to replace the substandard designed to be cheap and non-repairable replacement they want to supply for $1200 and with that you have to go outside and use the manual controls !!
I am on the hunt for a DIY controller, or design and build one myself that has the same or higher level of safety built-in, be able to connect to our Smart Home, Remote Monitor and Control. Biggest concern is electrical shock. I am learning no matter what you might miss in the design, you will still be protected by GFCI breakers as if they sense anything going to ground, they trip in less than a 10th sec. I am looking at some commercial IP rated temperature controllers w/low voltage relays along with IP rated digital high current contactors.
All these SPA boards was made for convent assembly, low cost and mass production with low or non-skilled workers to assemble them. I want something that will be better, safer, and have more adaptability as time moves forward. Something like Johnson Controls A421AET-01C, or possibly a Chaotai Temperature Controller W3230 Waterproof Sensor, and even modify something from Gecko, the Grid 4 Switch 0608-521033 its designed for external heat, it is just the temp control you need connected to a contactor. Jet pump could be controlled by an push button Air-Switch where you never touch even the low voltage that’s attached to the IP rated Contactor. Low voltage lighting, give me a break, anyone can come up with something for that. It's not rocket science, but if there is any feedback, even negative, please share.

Chris

Welcome! I don’t really have any feedback on how to do what you ask. I’ll mention that unless familiar with basic electrical design I don’t think trying a DIY approach is the best.

You mention hooking it into your smart home, and not having to go outside to hit manual controls, but how often would you honestly use remote controls? Idk about you but we simply leave our hot tub at temp year round. It’s ready whenever we are. So the only time I control it is when I’m outside anyway.

$1200 seems steep, though a Google search showed Watkins parts seem to be a lot more pricey that other parts I’ve looked up. Still, seems unlikely you’d need to spend that much. If interested in a repair of the stock equipment as an alternative to a DIY solution, if you post spa/control panel part numbers and perhaps pictures too then @RDspaguy may be able to help you troubleshoot what’s wrong and point to sources to buy replacement parts cheaper.

It's usually cheaper and easier to replace with a retro fit kit that includes a controller, spa pack, heater, accessories. You really need the safety of the design of a spa pack as it relates to the heater, pressure switches, etc. You need a lot of free time to re invent the wheel along the lines your thinking

Reactions: jseyfert3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.