DIY waterline tile installation

wendmont

Jul 28, 2019
Carlsbad, CA
My husband would like to do our waterline tile. I'm looking for any tips. We have 6" tile picked out and have a rectangular 18 by 30 pool with raised spa. I'm trying to understand the steps. Do we need to apply a waterproofing material before thinset? Thank you for any help.

Laticrete makes very good waterproofing products for applying onto the gunite shell before tiling. The bond beam and unite surface 6"-12" below the tile should be coated with a waterproofing layer prior to the tile setting glue. If you can afford it and have the willingness to use it, epoxy grout will last much longer than standard cement grout for the tile.

Apply the mortar bed, let it dry and waterproof it well below the tile line. Use a thinset rated for submersion and preferably epoxy grout.

Laticrete makes really good products
What brand epoxy grout do you recommend?

Spectralock Pro Premium grout (Epoxy):
(not sure if you can choose the grout color? - please advise)

Their Permacolor select grout is cement..(but you can choose the color grout)

Laticrete grout products:

Does mortar bed go before the waterproofing on the gunite shell waterline tile or after? Is the mortar bed needed if the gunite shell is uniform consistency where the glass tile is going?

Any special spec on the mortar? Spec Mix is what the contractor has onsite...

Laticrete waterproofing.JPG

Attachments

• DS-6630.pdf
    425.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DS6635_IMPROVED.pdf
    350.4 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.