DIY SWG install

mikek_nj

May 26, 2020
Mullica Hill, NJ
Hi I am looking to switch to a SWG for chlorination. I have been looking at the RJ60+ as I am looking to minimize the pump run time for my single speed pump.
I currently have a CL200 tablet chlorinator that I periodically use when on vacation, etc. It seems to be a tight fit and wanted to make sure I know what I am doing before cutting pipes.
I am considering doing a vertical install of the flow filter and SWG due to the limited space. So far I have not been able to determine a fitting that would let me connect to the Hayward union adapters (SP1500UNPak2 - Union Connector Pack - Hayward) that are left after removing the chlorinator.
Does anyone know of an adapter that would connect to this fitting or have any suggestions on how to best plumb the PVC from the filter outlet through the new SWG to the return?

Pardon the weeds around the equipment :)

Attachments

• 20210423_160939.jpg
    20210423_160939.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210423_160933.jpg
    20210423_160933.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210423_132233.jpg
    20210423_132233.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 107
The only thing I can think of is to buy a Hayward union and see if it will screw onto that union.. If it works get another one and go vertical from there by making or buying the kit..

That is a tight pad. I would suggest not worrying about those connections. Make an inverted U. Make the up leg 15 pipe diameters (2" pipe = 30 inches). Place the flow switch 10 pipe diameters or 2 thirds the way up. Then place the SWG in the top of the U. Then run the pipe down to your valve.
Why 15 pipe diameters? You want the flow to the flow switch to be fairly laminar (not turbulent). 10 PD will do this with a 5PD after. The flow switch before the SWG is best since the SWG makes gasses, which can make the Flow Switch not work.

If I was to remove those connections, where would be the best place to cut between the existing union fitting and the valve feeding the returns? I don't see an issue on the other end as I could build a new set of PVC from the filter to the SWG.
You could use a fitting extender that slips on over the coupling coming out of the valve. Just make a cut at the end of the white coupler and put the extender on their and you should be good to go. This is what you need.

The big end gets glued on over the coupler and the smaller end goes inside another 2" coupler and you finish the job from there. This video shows it really clearly at 1:23.

Last edited:
If you aren't dead set on a particular SWG, you could get one that doesn't require straight pipe...like the CMP PowerClean/SGS Breeze or similar. I have the CMP PowerClean and I arrived on that one largely because it fits my pad so much better than a straight-line style that requires X amount of straight pipe for the flow switch to work. If you are planning automation however, you'll want to look into how it would interface with your system. I don't use automation so it wasn't a concern for me.

The weeds are the weeds.. Hey its Jersey!..🪴🌵☘️

I assume you are taking the chlorinator out and putting the SWG in its place? Yes? There is no need for it once the SWG is in. Another option for a tight pad like this is to ream out the slips. Also called Socket Savers. Here's a link to the thread they discussed it. It was proposed for a lot for the victims of the TX freeze when they had to start rebuilding their pipes:

Then you should have enough room to do a vertical install in that spot.

Lots of options...here's another.

The diverter valve will accept a coupler on the outside of the socket one size larger than the inside slip. If you have 2" pipe inside now, a 2.5" coupler will fit on the outside. You'd need to cut the current coupler off flush with the face of the diverter valve, slip on the coupler, then use a reducer bushing to get you back to 2". Here's an example for 2.5"/3" valve.
Capture.JPG

Another option:

This will slip inside of existing 2" pipe...

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody291
Thanks for all the suggestions here.

I just got the RJ60+ and the vertical install kit. It turns out that the kit has 2 of the 0301-20 2 inch MagicMend adapters in it (for adapting to RJ classic). Of course I ordered some of those separately but figure I might find a use for them down the road...

So just in case anyone else runs into a similar install wanted to leave that info.

I will be attempting the install this weekend hopefully all goes well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.