DIY pressure side vacuum?

Trinnah

Jul 5, 2019
Zephyrhills, FL
Hi everyone! This is my first year as a pool owner, starting with a 14'*42" Summer Waves Elite with the default sfx1000 pump.
We also bought the cheap maintenance kit from Summer Waves - skimmer & garden hose vacuum. I can't afford any "real" vacuum because the conversion plate for the skimmer basket is $45 by itself. Anyway, I hate adding water to the pool and screwing up my well-balanced water (thanks TFP ?) so I came up with a potential solution. I want to make an adapter to use the return jet to reduce down to garden hose, to power the Venturi vacuum!

Basically I've found PVC fittings that will work for this, I just need to know if it will reduce the return flow so much that it'll damage the pump.

Return jet > 1 1/2" PVC elbow > PVC fittings to reduce to 3/4" > PVC male to male garden hose adapter from irrigation plumbing section > garden hose > vacuum head

Any flaws in this plan?

Welcome to TFP.

Reducing down the return size will increase the pressure in your filter. It should not damage the pump. Just check your lines for any leaks that may appear at higher pressure.

You have a pressure gauge in your filter?

Reactions: Trinnah
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.