Roseville, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I always start by thanking everyone in the community. Your advise has been instrumental during my build.

Today's question is about Pool Solar system. After getting a quote and a few no shows no response I have decided to DIY it.

I have access to pool equipment suppliers, so I purchased a full set up

9 panels
Brackets
Valves
Misc fittings etc...

Question is basic Solar Array set up.

Garage (5) 4*10 panels is pitched roof but house portion is flat roof (4) 4*12 panels

Attached is a basic sketch of what I'm looking to do. I apologise for the rookie sketch.

Google earth snap for reference

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_134914736.jpg
    PXL_20210415_134914736.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210415-164209.png
    Screenshot_20210415-164209.png
    777.2 KB · Views: 18
It looks like from the drawing that you are feeding the second set of panels from the first set header? If so, that could create flow imbalance in the middle panels. I would plumb the blue lines similar to the red lines and use a separate line to feed each set of panels. Where you tie them together is less important as long as you are using 2" pipe.

It looks like from the drawing that you are feeding the second set of panels from the first set header? If so, that could create flow imbalance in the middle panels. I would plumb the blue lines similar to the red lines and use a separate line to feed each set of panels. Where you tie them together is less important as long as you are using 2" pipe.

I think I'm tracking but for clarity. The blue was supposed to represent the feed lines ( cold water from pool. Red was the return ( warm water. Blue line on the drawing is the bottom of the panels...

Apologies for terrible drawing and orientation of the drawing.

Hope it makes a little more sense. If so does your feedback still apply

Thanks for taking the time

I had assumed that was what the colors meant. Feeding the second set of the panels (4 on right) off the header of the first set of panels (5 on the left) is generally not a good idea when you have a lot of panels. In can create an imbalance in flow between the panels and reduce solar efficiency. What I am suggesting is to run another "blue" pipe along bottom of the first set of panels (next to red pipe) to feed the second set separately. This will isolate the two sets of panels hydraulically and provide a more even flow pattern.

Got it!!!! Thanks

So run the feeder line up too the first array. Place a "T" feed the first array. Then continue the main run and feed the second array.

Or should I feed two separate lines from equipment?

So run the feeder line up too the first array. Place a "T" feed the first array. Then continue the main run and feed the second array.
Correct!

No need to go all the way to the equipment.

I can't help much on the mounting aspects but it sounds like a good idea.

However, if the roof tilts even a small amount, you will want to have the lower side as the supply so the panels will drain properly.

I can't help much on the mounting aspects but it sounds like a good idea.

However, if the roof tilts even a small amount, you will want to have the lower side as the supply so the panels will drain properly.
Yeah, that is the plan have the headers at least 3 inches higher than the lower. Will also add hose bib for "winterization"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.