truthinadv

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just bought a new Active 20 from Marina Pool and Spa and decided to build my own caddy versus paying $150+

1661897028484.png

20220830_164637.jpg

My analysis...

1) Don't need wheels and the $150 Dolphin's caddy's wheels are not that robust anyways
2) Don't want to leave power supply outside based on how many posts I've read about them going bad from heat/sun (but you could build something for this if desired)
3) Want to store the robot in the standard upright position so need solution that protects tracks and rollers from being compressed
4) Want to hang my cord neatly above robot
5) Will use 18" weber kettle grill cover for under $20 on Amazon on post Labor Day sale for added protection
6) Location - I have a dedicated spot for the cleaner under my covered patio - but this stand could go anywhere

I followed the idea of the Dolphin Caddy that uses 4 posts to raise / support the robot so the rollers and tracks dont touch the ground

Made with 3/4 PVC
* Used sponge that I placed (compressed) into PVC opening to cushion 4 support posts (may upgrade if needed to rubber cap)
* The lower back side support is designed as a guide for placing in the robot...when you back up against it, the robot is properly aligned.

Cost about $25 plus cover

Time about 60 minutes

Attachments

• 20220830_164741.jpg
    20220830_164741.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220830_164626.jpg
    20220830_164626.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 119
Just bought a new Active 20 from Marina Pool and Spa and decided to build my own caddy versus paying $150+

View attachment 450404

View attachment 450401

My analysis...

1) Don't need wheels and the $150 Dolphin's caddy's wheels are not that robust anyways
2) Don't want to leave power supply outside based on how many posts I've read about them going bad from heat/sun (but you could build something for this if desired)
3) Want to store the robot in the standard upright position so need solution that protects tracks and rollers from being compressed
4) Want to hang my cord neatly above robot
5) Will use 18" weber kettle grill cover for under $20 on Amazon on post Labor Day sale for added protection
6) Location - I have a dedicated spot for the cleaner under my covered patio - but this stand could go anywhere

I followed the idea of the Dolphin Caddy that uses 4 posts to raise / support the robot so the rollers and tracks dont touch the ground

Made with 3/4 PVC
* Used sponge that I placed (compressed) into PVC opening to cushion 4 support posts (may upgrade if needed to rubber cap)
* The lower back side support is designed as a guide for placing in the robot...when you back up against it, the robot is properly aligned.

Cost about $25 plus cover

Time about 60 minutes
I just bought a new Dolphin robot too and was trying to figure out if I want to spend $150 on a caddy, your post came in just in time! Thank you, and I will do this as well :)

Reactions: Dirk and Mdragger88
Thanks for the post. Just needed a base to put in the bottom of my pool box. Used some rubber pads on top of the T where it’ll rest.
Looks like we have the same “coffin” ⚰️🤣🤣
I just put Robert 🤖 on his side when he sleeps in there because I have so much junk in my box. May have to do some purging & fit him a decent bed!

Reactions: Coheed
Great job @truthinadv. And thanks for sharing and inspiring others. Love the other caddies, too! I've built all kinds of things out of PVC over the years. It's one of my favorite materials. And sometimes I even use it for plumbing! Who knew all that training with my Tinkertoys would come in handy someday!

Tinker Toys - Guess the gender! | Created in 1913 and contin… | Flickr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.