SARASOTA, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I have a pretty basic pool pad setup. Built Right Heat pump, Pentair VS Superflo, Aquarite SWCG, Pentair Intellibrite light. I only have a single valve that allows me to control suction between skimmer and main drain.

I would like to be able to do the following....
1. Turn Heat Pump on and Off - even better if can set temp
2. Set pump speed - I believe mine can only cycle through the 3 different presets which I would be fine with
3. Lights - On/Off/Change color
4. SWCG - I don't know what's possible with mine. Being able to turn it on and off isn't much value, but if I can set output and be alerted when not generating because of some type fault, that would be great
5. Monitor Water Temp
6. Monitor and Control from Android phone
7. (This one is just a nice to have by-product, not a deal killer if better to keep seperate) I have some home automation now. Currently I have a lot of Kasa Light Switches/Dimmers, Ring Alarm and Cameras, Logitech Harmony Hub, Ecobee thermostat, etc. It's mostly controlled by voice via Google Home's or by Android phone using Google Home app. However, because each manufacturer of devices has limitations on what it works with and what functions are available, I have automation logic spread out between Alexa app (integrates with Ring and can controls lights based of detected motion, times of day, etc), IFTTT, and at least one or two other I am not thinking of. Would be great if I could centralize all of that in a local system.

I did some reading on the forum, so I have a general idea of what I am getting in to. I do development in C# and lots of SQL work professionally, so comfortable with coding and working with custom solutions. I have built computers, wired and plumbed my existing equipment....so thinking shouldn't be to difficult for me to accomplish what I want.

My main questions for the group....
1. What hardware should I be looking at considering the equipment I currently have? I don't have a set budget, but would like to keep it reasonable. I prefer to buy stuff that will be the least finnicky and most reliable.
2. Will it be possible to do what I want from my list above? Not sure if it's worth the effort just to be able to turn stuff on and off without being able to make adjustments to heat, pump speed, etc.

Thank you as always, this place is a wealth of information.

Last edited:
And just to make sure I take the right path....any off the shelf solutions that would cover my pool needs for reasonable price?

My current SWG cell is bad so I could potentially change brand of SWG if it makes sense and the automation controller can run the cell without a seperate box.

Also, as an aside there is a full rest api, MQTT, and event driven socket architecture built in. It should do great with IFTT or your automation hubs. Lots of integrations with HASS, Homekit, Vera, SmartThings, Hubitat... etc.

Great thanks. I will definitely check it out. I have also seen node-red come up a few times as well. I will have to read up on the differences.

Most development I do is all healthcare related and mostly desktop applications. More recently have done some work interacting with API's. Part of the reason I wanted to undertake the project was to push me a bit out of my comfort zone and an excuse to play around with a Raspberry pi.

Yes you can also operate it with node-red if you like. You will find that if you do get into the code it is not too far off from a C# microservices app with a full blown API. It is primarily written in TypeScript to run on a nodeJS platform. You can also install and run it on Windows, Mac, Linux, or Raspberry Pi OS (linux) and even run it without any pool equipment hooked up to check out the functionality.

@rstrouse I took a little time to read through the documentation. A couple questions....
1. Your signature you have an IntelliCenter, just curious how that fits in to your build along with your custom pool controller
2. Says the Aquarite can be controlled via RS485. I have seen from past research that a daughter board is required for Aquarite automation with some off the shelf systems...is that true in this case? or does the connection exist on the normal Aquarite control board?

I have a pretty basic pool pad setup...Pentair VS Superflo
I'm working on some automation and was thinking back to this thread. You mentioned you have a SuperFlo VS.

There are different versions of the SuperFlo VS/VST. You may or may not have RS-485 communication capabilities depending on your version (Mdl#s 342001 or 342002) and build date. I believe all [recent] versions of the SuperFlo VS/VST have a data port with relay connections for external control of speeds. There are four leads that each provide a digital input speed control and a 5 volt digital output for Com connection to the relays.

Check the manual (from Page 5 forward) for you specific pump before moving forward with designing your system.

Best of luck! I look forward to seeing how it works out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm working on some automation and was thinking back to this thread. You mentioned you have a SuperFlo VS.

There are different versions of the SuperFlo VS/VST. You may or may not have RS-485 communication capabilities depending on your version (Mdl#s 342001 or 342002) and build date. I believe all [recent] versions of the SuperFlo VS/VST have a data port with relay connections for external control of speeds. There are four leads that each provide a digital input speed control and a 5 volt digital output for Com connection to the relays.

Check the manual (from Page 5 forward) for you specific pump before moving forward with designing your system.

Best of luck! I look forward to seeing how it works out.
Mine is at least 5 years old, so well before 2020 which is when I believe they were built with RS485 capabilities. My understanding is it has cable available that can connect to relays and turn on/off the 3 different presets on the pump.

I am just doing a ton of reading now, will probably work on a shopping list soon and will update when I make some progress.

1. Your signature you have an IntelliCenter, just curious how that fits in to your build along with your custom pool controller
The njsPC controller can act as both a master controller and a slave at the same time. So I have both and extend my IntelliCenter for home automation, chemistry control, and logging. It acts like another controller whenever it detects IntelliCenter, EasyTouch, or IntelliTouch. So I can control the pool from my HA, dashPanel, wall mounted controller, wireless controller, IntelliCenter2.com, or mobile apps.

There are plenty of folks that throw a watch into the mix too but I can't seem to keep from damaging such devices that are strapped to my body. I am sure every super hero out there without a utility belt has the same problem.
2. Says the Aquarite can be controlled via RS485. I have seen from past research that a daughter board is required for Aquarite automation with some off the shelf systems...is that true in this case? or does the connection exist on the normal Aquarite control board?
I am pretty sure that every AquaRite I have seen hooked up is using an RS485 port on the control board. I believe the daughter card is required because the Omni use a different port setup (19200,7N2) and AquaRite comms are (9600,8N1). However, unlike IntelliChlor which powers the RS485 bus from the main control board AquaRite requires 10vdc on the port power wires and you simply put a <$8 buck converter in an call it a day.

Btw Nixie also has support for the 4 speed relay control on SuperFlo VS pumps. And it adds support for it when you have IntelliCenter, EasyTouch, and IntelliTouch without using your precious relay circuits.
Ok, I am going for it.....need to draw out my current system, figure out what hardware I need and when I get to that point I may bring back her if you don't mind eyeballing it to ensure I didn't miss anything.

In your documentation, I thought I read about needing a 15 amp breaker presumably to power everything. My thought was to take the mechanical timer I currently have for the Aquarite down and put my new enclosure there and leverage the power that was going to the timer. I don't want to have to run a whole new line just to power my new equipment.

Any recommended vendors for equipment or just what I can find for best price? I have seen Raspberry Pi are scarce, but it seems some things are finally starting to return to being in stock.

The recommended equipment came from setting up a few of these. The 15A breaker is for the transformers powering the pi and any other transformers in the box. It is a great way to cut power entirely to an automation enclosure. It becomes very easy to do if you have a load center on the pad.

As far as recommended vendors I do like the Sequent Microsystems hats because they are very well done and reliable. Raspberry Pis are a bit difficult to source and their price has gone up. I have bought several from CanaKit but even they are spotty on stock. The good news is that Raspberry Pis are so lo cal that they never cause weight gain and you can have as many as you like.

The recommended equipment came from setting up a few of these. The 15A breaker is for the transformers powering the pi and any other transformers in the box. It is a great way to cut power entirely to an automation enclosure. It becomes very easy to do if you have a load center on the pad.

As far as recommended vendors I do like the Sequent Microsystems hats because they are very well done and reliable. Raspberry Pis are a bit difficult to source and their price has gone up. I have bought several from CanaKit but even they are spotty on stock. The good news is that Raspberry Pis are so lo cal that they never cause weight gain and you can have as many as you like.
I only have my main breaker box in the garage. It contains a dedicated breaker for my heat pump (240) and then a second one labeled "Pool Equipment" also 240. Outside, one clearly goes to the heat pump and then the second goes to the intermatic timer. Since the VS Superflo is always on, it bypasses the timer, but the Aquarite is connected to it. I didn't dig in to them, so not sure if they are using 240 or 120. I have a third intermatic box which looks like it's a transformer that powers my pool light. I am not 100% certain if that is on a different circuit or part of "Pool Equipment" I will figure out soon.

With all that said, I don't have a "Load Center" at my pool pad and I am ok with not being able to flip a breaker to shut down automation, so any reason to not leverage that current circuit?

No reason not to if there is sufficient amperage on the circuit. However, if you wanted to install a subpanel (Load Center) at the pad and power everything there, this one actually includes the 300w transformer in the box already. But it is not required.

No reason not to if there is sufficient amperage on the circuit. However, if you wanted to install a subpanel (Load Center) at the pad and power everything there, this one actually includes the 300w transformer in the box already. But it is not required.
I haven't played around with a Raspberry Pi, but don't they just "sip" power. I am thinking I should have more than enough overhead on that circuit. I will see if this weekend I can draw it all out including which circuits are on what, what kind of power they using, and then go from there.

Thanks again for the help, I think is going to be a fun project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.