Monroe, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Has anyone made their own Frog Chorine Pacs? Any tips or suggestions? 1” tabs I bought don’t seem to be dissolving at the rate of the Frog Brand but I refuse to buy those. New pool installed almost two months ago. I know this site isn’t a fan of frogger, just want opinions on diy pacs.

I'm kinda ashamed of it now, but once upon a time, in a land far far away, I did that. But I very shortly learned better. Nothing but liquid for me for the last 10 years.

Did you cut the top off the pac and fill it with tablets? If so, don't worry about how fast they dissolve, just adjust the dial to maintain the FC required for your CYA. If you removed the pac and just put the tablets in the housing, it doesn't circulate water in the housing like it does through the pac canister.

By the way, the more you use the frog, the higher your CYA gets, so the more FC you need. It's a viscous circle.

I'm kinda ashamed of it now, but once upon a time, in a land far far away, I did that. But I very shortly learned better. Nothing but liquid for me for the last 10 years.

Did you cut the top off the pac and fill it with tablets? If so, don't worry about how fast they dissolve, just adjust the dial to maintain the FC required for your CYA. If you removed the pac and just put the tablets in the housing, it doesn't circulate water in the housing like it does through the pac canister.

By the way, the more you use the frog, the higher your CYA gets, so the more FC you need. It's a viscous circle.
I drilled a two inch hole in the top of the frog pac and put my own tablets in. Then I covered the hole with duct tape. Last night, I took another pack I made, and took the duct tape off and put back in to see if it will increase my FC more. I can't seem to get it to go above .5ppm even on max. On the liquid chlorine, you go out each morning and dump liquid chlorine in your pool? What do you do when you go out of town or on vacation?

I drilled a two inch hole in the top of the frog pac and put my own tablets in. Then I covered the hole with duct tape. Last night, I took another pack I made, and took the duct tape off and put back in to see if it will increase my FC more. I can't seem to get it to go above .5ppm even on max. On the liquid chlorine, you go out each morning and dump liquid chlorine in your pool? What do you do when you go out of town or on vacation?
I add liquid chlorine each evening. If I'm going to be out of town or on vacation I plan to use floater pucks for chlorination, but you can't do that for long periods or the CYA will go high. I keep mine on the lower side in case I need to use pucks at some point.

I have a 15 gallon drum that holds the bleach and a Stenner peristaltic pump that injects the chlorine. I just make sure that the drum is full if we're going away for a while and it will last almost 3 weeks. Since I use our home automation to run the injection at set times, I can look and see if it ran when it was supposed to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.