The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
AquaCal sells a condensation drain kit (STK0202) for around $100, but you can install essentially the same system with ~$5 of parts from the hardware store. It took me around 10 minutes to complete the job on my SQ150VS.

For parts, I installed a 1/2" MIP threaded fitting with a 1/4" barb for the drain tubing. I installed a 13/16" x 5/8" rubber stopper to cap the drain hole on the opposite side.

PXL_20220111_000607868.jpg

For tools, you'll need to borrow or buy a 1/2"-14 NPT tap. The tap will fit nicely in a twelve-point 16mm socket, and you'll use a ratchet to drive the tap and create the threads.

PXL_20220111_000637252.jpg

PXL_20220111_000627810.jpg

An old toothbrush will clean up the threads afterwards, and the tweezers can extract any bits of plastic that fall inside the heat pump.

PXL_20220110_235302799.jpg

Put a couple wraps of Teflon thread tape around the fitting, install it, attach your tubing, and you're done.

PXL_20220111_000114098.jpg

Hope this helps some of the AquaCal owners here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thanks for the explanation but none of your pics display from wherever you linked to it.

Please load the pics to the TFP site. We used to use external sites to host pics and found over time they would become unreliable and then posts would become useless.

Thanks for the explanation but none of your pics display from wherever you linked to it.

Please load the pics to the TFP site. We used to use external sites to host pics and found over time they would become unreliable and then posts would become useless.

I reinserted the images just now using the "Insert image" function, and it looks like it's working. For the original post, I copied and pasted, and although it looked like it worked at the time, the images disappeared.

Pics now visible.

Others have posted about trying to rig up a drain to the AquaCal and they could not find where the connection was. Locating the drain plug on the bottom may be the tip folks needed.

Reactions: pjt
Thanks pjt for your post on installing a condensation drain on a Aquacal heat pump.
For instructions on their STK0202 kit I spoke with Aquacal and they sent me the directions in pdf format. I've tried to attach the instructions to this post but the file is too large.

Thanks pjt for your post on installing a condensation drain on a Aquacal heat pump.
Glad it was useful for you. The instructions from AquaCal don't have proper details on the parts and tools you need.

For instructions on their STK0202 kit I spoke with Aquacal and they sent me the directions in pdf format. I've tried to attach the instructions to this post but the file is too large.
I reduced the size of the pdf and attached it here.

Attachments

• AquaCal STK0202 Drain Kit Assembly Instructions.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 69
pjt - great idea! I went super cheap with my install (sorry I don't have any pictures but this should be easy to visualize). I used1/2" irrigation parts (1/2" barbed fitting plus some left over swing pipe). Works great.

With various irrigation 1/2" connectors (straight, 90 degree, T's) and Rain Bird swing pipe (Toro calls it funny pipe) you can basically design whatever condensation drain system that meets your setup needs. Just take into consideration that the pipe needs to have a little downward pitch.

Last edited:
I upgraded the 1/4" to a 1/2" barb to handle the surprising amount of condensation produced.

Last edited:
I realize I'm responding to a dormant thread... but had to give my feedback. I created an account just so I could respond. wanted to share how genius this post was by @pjt ! I'm new to the pool ownership world, this is my first one and my first attempts at running my heater in north FL this past couple of weeks. my AquaCal unit has condensation drains (which are really just holes) on the left and right side of the unit. the drainage was keeping my filter/pumps/intellichlor.... component cement pad wet - all the time. after I saw this post, I ordered the exact same 1/2" tap from Amazon. it was at my house the next day. I then went to Home Depot and picked up my (2) threaded fittings. the only deviation I took from the original spec suggested is that I bought the Apollo PEX 3/4" x 1/2" MNPT Male Adapter. gives it a little more volume on the discharge. in all honesty, by appearance the PEX barb side of the adapter looks the same in diameter as the 1/2" threaded side. I then took about a foot of irrigation funny pipe (which I already had) and a couple of stainless steel clamps. heated the irrigation pipe and slipped it right over the PEX male adapter side. before it cooled I put the clamp on and tighten it up. it's golden! an absolute home run. Way better than the way the AquaCal unit was delivered, saved some $ from using the OEM solution, and gives me many options if I want to route my condensate elsewhere. Many thanks @pjt

Last edited:
returned to add a link to the threaded adapter I used. if you look at the image, you'll see what I mean by the 3/4" PEX reference looking similar to the 1/2" threaded side (with regards to internal circumference).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support