DIY Bluestone Coping and Paver Patio Progress Thread.

364E706F-F753-4CD3-9D91-6B697C56ED51.jpeg
37C1413D-DC53-47CE-A93F-7F213B3D4742.jpeg
All done. I used white sikaflex to caulk between the steps and the coping, with some backer rod. I’ve got 5 pallets of pavers and 11cu yards of crushed stone coming on next Wednesday. The guy from the stone place sounded very skeptical when I told him I was DIY. “You know this is tons of material to move???” He recommended getting the stone bagged so they can deliver in pallets to the back instead of loose curb side. I planned on getting it delivered close to the pool and hand moving it with wheel barrows but if they can’t deliver it back there I guess I’m renting a bobcat

That is super attractive! If I remember correctly your wife wasn’t a fan of the cuts in your original diagram. How is she feeling about it now?

Reactions: jamjam
She likes it but (and I’m not meaning to make my wife sound like a Debbie Downer) but she says she doesn’t like the sharp bottom edge of the stone and would have preferred just concrete with no overhang. I clearly married a crazy person :)

• Haha
Reactions: kellyfair
Awwww, I was hoping she was showering you with compliments!

It really does look great!

Awwww, I was hoping she was showering you with compliments!

It really does look great!
She did say that it looks good and said it turns out she was worried about nothing. She agrees that it objectively came out very well. I guess in the long scheme of things a wife with no frills taste is better than one always busting the bank.

my only complaint is that she can’t picture anything until it’s done so the design burden always falls on me and then she is comparing the alternative results to some other idea that she can’t fully picture.

she mentioned she doesn’t care much for the 1.5” overhang. She is concerned the kids will hit their heads. I know for a fact that the pool across the street that she is always comparing to has a 2” cantilever. I told her the kids won’t hit their heads and plus it gives something to grab onto in the deep end.

I’m resigned to the fact that I can’t win when it comes to home design stuff. It’s really her only flaw so I can’t complain too much.

my only complaint is that she can’t picture anything until it’s done so the design burden always falls on me and then she is comparing the alternative results to some other idea that she can’t fully picture.

Wow, it sounds like you are talking about me! 🤪 My husband is always suggesting things and I'm like, "I don't know what you are talking about, I want it this way." He does it his way anyways, and it looks a million times better. I have learned to just say yes, and accept the better results.

Your pool looks really great, you did an awesome job. I even questioned the corners at first a little in true fashion but the finished project couldn't be better!

Ugh 5 pallets or pavers came today and i realized after they left they were the wrong line. I ordered smooth and they came textured. I am 100% positive that I ordered the right stones, I even have my notes from the phone call - but I am looking at the delivery invoice and they are wrong on the invoice. Where it should say "smooth" it says "slate" - waiting on the distributer to call me back - unfortunately i think this is going to be a he said/he said thing (I regret not having them read the order back to me). Grrrrrrrrrr

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well apparently they had "slate" down from when they took the order and not "smooth" as I 100% said (not even a fraction of a doubt in my head) however, he told me that the "smooth" style is no where in the country right now - basically indefinitely backed up - so I decided to keep what we have after conferring with my wife - it will look nice no matter what - it just stinks because i had a specific look in mind.

three of those bags i can just slice open and rake - but there are about 3 bags that i need to shovel in the wheel barrow - honestly it was easier doing two bags than it was digging the base - not horrible.

Yeah it’s frustrating and alarming that we have been flying by the seat of our supply chain paints for god knows how long. I hope our industries adjust to a management style that mitigates a bit more risk moving forward.

What techo bloc pavers are you using (you might have said it earlier in the thread!)? I recently did blu 60 greyed nickel

These are Blu 60 slate HD2 in shale grey - if you did nickel I suspect you had Blu 60 smooth? That is what I ordered but there was a mix up and they are textured. Considering they can’t get smooth I am sticking with the slate texture. A slightly different look than I was going for but it should look nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.