DIY block build

Larandall

Aug 18, 2020
Alabama
Hi all! I am beginning the process of building a small-ish (12x28) cement black pool without a liner. I’m going back and forth on a flat bottom or gentle slope to deep end. So far I have dug most of the hole myself and it’s been strangely therapeutic. Cheaper than therapy in these crazy stuck at home times lol. 😂 I do have a backhoe coming next week to finish it out. My question right now is on footings. It seems there is conflicting advice on pouring the floor and footing together or pouring the footing then starting up the walls and pouring floor after. Any experience or thoughts? Thanks so much!!

Hey Larandall and Welcome !! Now THIS is how you make an intro !!! All pools are great but the unique ones really stand out. Please get some pics up and keep em comin and you’ll have no shortage of eyes gawking. I mean..... helping. I don’t know the footing answer, but somebody that does will be along soon

😂😂 well the pictures so far look more like a game of find the bodies😬🤦‍♀️😂 BUT one day that will be a pool. 👍😅 and don’t let my husband and pony fool you in that first pic.. they are barely helping. 😉🤣

Attachments

• C9B7A71C-A461-4AB6-A3D6-C6728F4D7793.jpeg
    C9B7A71C-A461-4AB6-A3D6-C6728F4D7793.jpeg
    813.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 9F2F929A-9149-427A-B568-5429245DEE2F.jpeg
    9F2F929A-9149-427A-B568-5429245DEE2F.jpeg
    875.7 KB · Views: 54
At the point where the sidewalls meet the floor, whether or not you do a monolithic pour, I can't see how you can prevent the concrete from cracking. That's why gunite pools are done in a continuous pour......so there will not be a cold joint.

I do not think primer or plaster will prevent that crack and subsequent leak.

I am in literal NO means an expert.. so just following examples I’ve found online.. that concern was mitigated by either bending floor rebar up to place block walls on or drilling holes into block walls to lay the rebar floor after. That concern was brought up but these pools seem to be holding? I’m also in serious clay soil that could almost be a pool alone.😂🤦‍♀️ I have tried so hard to find an old instruction manual from the 50s as I’ve been told that’s how they used to build them often.. but to no avail as of yet. 🤞All that to say it does feel like a big hopeful experiment.😬😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.