Diving pool size for yard that measures 44 x 23

joepaiii

May 16, 2013
Allen, TX
I am thinking of buying a house that has an area of approximately 44x22 to place a pool. How much space between pool and fences are normally allocated? How much room for runoff swale needs to allocated. Just curious what I could do with the yard.

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Don't forget you may be subject to bylaws that dictate setbacks from property lines, distance frkm dwelling, etc. Here in Ottawa a self-closing fence is also required around pool. You don't have much space to work with.

joepaiii

May 16, 2013
Allen, TX

joepaiii

May 16, 2013
Allen, TX
Look at this check list for the City of Allen:

Must be 5 feet from residence and 3 feet from property lines. You'll also have to abide by any easements (will be marked on the survey)

I am not sure if you are changing cities, but you'll have to check the building codes for that city if different from your current city (Allen)
Does anyone know how to determine if a drainage swales is at the edge of a yard? Is it as simple as looking for a depression or shallow ditch like area along a fence line?

joepaiii

May 16, 2013
Allen, TX
What do your mean by "diving pool"? I am not sure you have enough room to meet the dimensional requirements for a diving board.
I mean exactly that - a pool with a diving board. My current pool has one and it is 34 feet long.... probably doesn't quite meet all the requirements but it isn't a really long diving board either.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
There are some significant widths required to meet code. I have a board and I am sure the width and depth profile do not meet current requirements

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I believe minimum width is 16ft but you’ll need to check the standards. They are easily found and are provided by the diving board manufacturers on their websites.