Diving Board Help

_JordanM_

May 18, 2020
Saint John NB, Canada
I know diving boards aren’t as prevalent as they used to be, however I have an existing board with a house I bought which i believe needs replacement. It’s an 8ft board and there is a lot of cracks on the top as well as rusted out/corroded bolts and springs. My question is does anyone recognize this board style? What is it called? Where would I look to find a similar replacement of the leaf springs, bolts and the board itself. Any help appreciated.6643BF3C-10E6-4A7D-98E5-E82EF7C787D8.jpeg56108E10-AC2A-4D65-AEE8-7C559EFFD571.jpeg3C8208EE-AB24-439B-9475-329748271F0B.jpegimage.jpg

The first thing I would do is call your homeowners insurance and make sure they will even allow you to have a diving board. Next thing I would do it take that bad boy apart to keep anyone from even think about using it. That is an accident waiting to happen. If your insurance will allow you to have a board then I would get everything new.

Yeah, I thought if there’s one existing that they don’t have precedent to make you remove it but maybe I’m mistaken. Now the question is can I use the metal base that is embedded in the concrete and bolt a new system onto that? I know some diving boards attach to bolts embedded directly into the concrete. This metal post seems pretty sturdy other than some surface rust. If I found a board with that same bolt pattern (The 4 bolt holes in the metal post)would that work or do you think I need to scrap that as well and redo the slab and everything?

Take it apart as you can. My hope/thought is the base tube will come off if you can get the board braces up and off. Then you can see how it is attached to the deck.

BUT call your insurance before you do anything thing other than taking it apart.

My steel diving board stand was peeling and rusting. I sent photos to SR Smith thinking they were the manufacturer. They told tell me the name of the original manufacturer, model, and estimated year of manufacture for both the steel stand and the board.

They told me the correct method for repainting the steel stand. With help from the commercial division of Sherwin Williams, I successfully repainted the stand, which still looks great after 10 years.

You have two choices on how to repaint your diving stand - do it yourself or hire a painter with experience in applying steel coatings. I guarantee your local house painter is not the appropriate choice. Call your local department of public works for a recommendation or ask at the local Sherwin Williams distribution center.

If you choose the DIY route, see the attachment for details on producing a quality and long lasting result. The paint isn't cheap, but it's a one time purchase and you will be dead before the stand needs to be repainted. The work is more involved than painting your living room, but it saves a bundle and you can look at it with pride. The wife and kids won't give a Dang, but you will know better.

My bottom line advice is hire a professional if you are uncomfortable working with solvent based paint and application techniques.

Your local Sherwin Williams commercial distribution center:
202 Dieppe Blvd
Dieppe, NB E1A 6P8

(506) 386-3235Before sandblasting.jpgAfter sandblasting.jpg

Attachments

• Steel Diving Stand Repainting.pdf
    304.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
This is incredible!! Thanks so much for the info, exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I forgot to mention my recommendation to apply a second top coat. Do it prior to the expiration date on the activator package. I waited too long and my activator dried up. It cost $35 for a second can of activator.

Also, SR Smith informed that boards can be resurfaced. Your board looks like a prime candidate for refinishing. You will have to research that process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.