Dive rock question

RickKlem

Jul 6, 2020
Alabama
I am thinking about removing my diving board and installing a dive rock. The pictures I have seen looks like the rock is placed on top of the pool deck. Is a standard 4 inch think pool deck and pool wall capable of supporting a heavy rock? I don't know how much the rock will weigh, but I was just wondering if it is going to cause problems. Some of the articles that I have read said the rock can weigh 3000-5000/lbs. I just don't want the deck to crack or start sinking.

Vinyl liner pool with aluminum coping

Thanks
Rick

Welcome to TFP.

@Rich D thoughts?

Have you considered a faux diving rock that should weigh a lot less?

We were between a diving board and a dive rock. Went with the board, but our contract included either a diving board or just the footer for a dive rock. On the other hand, we've got a paver patio and coping so it's a little different setup.

Is a standard 4 inch think pool deck and pool wall capable of supporting a heavy rock?
You would need several stars to line up for there not to be a issue.
-The original pool builder would have needed to properly backfill the pool - this is highly unlikely as most liner pools are not properly backfilled so there is most likely a void under your deck up by the pool edge.
- whoever prepped and poured the deck would have need to prep a true 4" slab and install wire or rebar - Sadly most 4" slabs are 3- 4 inches and even when they do use wire it ends up on the bottom of the pour and does nothing.
- There is no way of telling how much extra concrete was installed for the diving board.

Even if everything was done correctly it just is not designed for that much weight. A boulder will tend more to point load the slab because it only touches in a few places.

I think there would be a very good chance of cracking the deck as well as putting to much weight on the pool wall.

I had the exact same concerns as you. My plan was to place the dive rock myself to save $. Talking to a few concrete people I was just asking for trouble. I had the luxury of forming some pillars for the rock to rest on to the coping. The rock below weighs 2k.

9C1D6B5B-8143-496E-BEB5-B61E362C684D.jpeg

96ABB2A7-1056-4EDE-A07C-0FD0F317A929.jpeg

That's a nice one. I've never seen smooth side up usually when you buy them cut that's the bottom. I'm guessing that was cut both sides. You can chip the edges for a better look with a rock hammer. I like the natural look I usually find a good one on every dig amd we use the demo saw to cut grooves and chip out a flat area for bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make a faux diving board out of concrete! That's what I did :) My builder did it for 400 dollars.

Mid build:
building dive board.jpg

Finished:

diving board done2.jpgdiving board done.jpg
ezgif-7-b8295c9e8311.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmythegreek
I had the exact same concerns as you. My plan was to place the dive rock myself to save $. Talking to a few concrete people I was just asking for trouble. I had the luxury of forming some pillars for the rock to rest on to the coping. The rock below weighs 2k.

View attachment 153896

View attachment 153898
Jb, nice dive rock. Are the pillars set higher or flush with the coping? I have pillars already formed for a dive rock but I’m not sure if they should be higher than the coping or even with it. It’s a vinyl liner pool. Thanks

Jb, nice dive rock. Are the pillars set higher or flush with the coping? I have pillars already formed for a dive rock but I’m not sure if they should be higher than the coping or even with it. It’s a vinyl liner pool. Thanks

I can't remember exactly, but based on where the pillars meet the rock we accounted for the decking sloping away from the pool. This allowed for the concrete decking to be finished up to the rock and look flush.

Reactions: Aquaman7
When I first bought house/pool, and was admiring all the rock the previous owners had brought in, I was wondering how they got the huge diving rock installed. It's embedded in the deck. And I was wondering if the flat dive step, and intermediate step, were just a natural coincidence, or somehow chipped/carved in. My stone guy later burst the bubble when he told me to go give it a good knock. Hollow!! It's got crags and cracks and intricate shading, even moss! But sorry, I have no idea where it came from. Kids and friends love it!

jumping rock.jpg

I found this page at Ricorock:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquaman7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.