Distance from gas heater to pool water matter?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I'm going to work with the town to get permits for a NG heater. I'm thinking of placing the heater, along side my HVAC, but that's about 50' to the current pump/filter. The pump/filter are 5 feet from the pool's edge.

- Can I put the units 50 apart, without issue?
- If I place them that far apart, do I need to upgrade the HP for my pump?

Any other issues/concerns?

ps0303

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jul 6, 2011
FL
Re: Distance from gas heater to filter/pump matter?

50' is pretty far and I wouldn't do it. You can't get it closer? Also, you need to make sure that putting it so close to an AC unit is within code.

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
DFW, TX

50' of horizontal 2" plumbing isn't really that big of a deal and should not require a pump upgrade. I would be more concerned about the heat loss through the plumbing while traveling that distance.

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA

50' of horizontal 2" plumbing isn't really that big of a deal and should not require a pump upgrade. I would be more concerned about the heat loss through the plumbing while traveling that distance.
Yep. The heat loss was my concern. If you picture my pump at 4:00 on the pool, I believe I'll be permitted to put the heater at 10:00, so about 25 feet. I was just reading on here that folks put them with their AC unit. And, my AC is against a wall with no windows. Perhaps the best selling point is that I believe I could run the entire gas pipe along the basement ceiling and just pop out where the AC unit is, so that saves a lot of digging $$$.