Display reads "HOT"

DIY Lady

Aug 7, 2021
Delray Beach, Florida
"Generating" is flashing, "Check Salt" is flashing, and "Check Cell" is flashing. (I just replaced the cell, with a generic one about 4-5 months ago.)
Temperature is showing 190 and cell voltage is 30.1. I had noticed 3-4 days ago when checking my salt level reading, that the temperature was slightly higher than it should, but I had not checked my readings again until this morning.

After playing around with checking the readings, now the "Generating" is still flashing, but the "Check Salt" and Check Cell" are both lit solid.

Is there anything, aside from replacement of the cell, that I could try, such as current limiter or varistors on the main board? Could the temperature sensor in the unit be clogged or coated with dirt or scale? I have not yet taken the cell off to look inside, but will.

From https://www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hayward_Aquarite_SWG

HOT Water Temperature

LCD display will read “HOT” when the water temperature is above 140 oF.

If the water temperature reads greater than 140o F, the cell temperature sensor is shorted and the cell needs to be replaced. It may be a problem with the temperature sensor in the cell or a problem with the circuit board reading the temperature sensor.

If you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance of the thermistor in the cell. See below for the Aquarite T-Cell cable plug configuration to test.

From https://www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hayward_Aquarite_SWG

HOT Water Temperature

LCD display will read “HOT” when the water temperature is above 140 oF.

If the water temperature reads greater than 140o F, the cell temperature sensor is shorted and the cell needs to be replaced. It may be a problem with the temperature sensor in the cell or a problem with the circuit board reading the temperature sensor.

If you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance of the thermistor in the cell. See below for the Aquarite T-Cell cable plug configuration to test.
Thanks for the link, it has some good troubleshooting info. I should be able to check the cell thermistor resistance, as well as the reading on the connector (where the cell plugs into) of the mainboard, and determine whether the cell or board is the source of the problem.

Reactions: mknauss
Dlady,

Welcome to TFP! Great to have another DIYer! We have volunteer experts and highly experienced pool enthusiasts that are a huge help to DIYers that often just need a little advice. It really helps our volunteers to be more efficient with their time and get advice to you if you can fill our your signature. Here's how to do it. One of the best things about TFP is that we sell absolutely nothing. Our methods do require you have a reliable test kit and we've identified two different brands that work Test Kits Compared. You can buy either at any place you want.

Good luck with this repair and I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.