Disparity between Vis-A-Flow and ScreenLogic

uvavi8r

Gold Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
Falls Church, VA
I have a fairly large disparity between my ScreenLogic and Vis-A-Flow (about 10 GPM). This has resulted in "flow" errors on the IC40. My filter is just cleaned and the IC40 was cleaned at the start of the season (April). I am just trying to figure out where the ScreenLogic is getting the GPM reading from (pump or IC40) so I can figure out how to clean/troubleshoot. For setup, it is running through the heater, then the Vis-A-Flo check valve , then through the IC40. When I bypass the heater it goes straight from the filter to the IC40 and the readings look normal on ScreenLogic. I have attached a picture of the setup (the IC40 is mounted where the blue painters tape is). I guess my question is, how there could be a 10 GPM difference between the Vis-A-Flow and the IC40. Taking the flowmeter apart to see if there is any sort of blockage, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
IMG_0176.jpeg

I guess my question is, how there could be a 10 GPM difference between the Vis-A-Flow and the IC40.

Your VSF pump is giving the GPM flow it calculates to your EasyTouch. The IC40 has no measurement for actual GPM flow. The IC40 flow switch is simply an on/off switch and either the flow is good or not.

The VSF pump is not measuring flow and has no flow meter. It is giving a calculated flow based upon pump performance.

You have two very different measurements of GPM and I would not expect them to agree.

Set your flow to whatever it takes to make the IC40 flow switch happy.

8r,

Do whatever you want to do, but the idea that GPM is something that needs to be accurate is just not true.

Millions of people with VS pumps have been running their pools just fine without any consideration of GPM. You just adjust things so that the work.

Just because your manual says the cell needs XX amount of flow does not make it necessarily accurate in your particular system. You might need to run faster to make things work and might be able to run slower and still have things work.

My point is that if you are worried about GPM you should not be... If you just like playing with it and seeing where you are, then play away. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had never been concerned with the GPM, just had never had my IC40 shut down due to a flow error...Yeah, I just cranked everything up...works like a champ. I just need to be a bit more diligent on checking things...it was working REALLY good for a while (chemicals stayed in balance...) I just never look at the equipment or ScreenLogic unless I am changing something.

@ajw22 & @Jimrahbe thanks for the advice and confirming what I was doing was okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.