'Dishing' around return jet (pics added!)

JoannaB

Oct 17, 2018
Lake Oswego, Oregon
I need advice! A month ago we noticed a symmetrical concave area around one of the return jets, about the size of a dinner plate, where it's sinking in slightly (1/2" or less). The concrete is not cracked but there is a white line around the perimeter where the dishing starts. Does anyone know what would cause it and how it would be fixed? I called our installer but he's not returned my call yet. This is their busiest time of year and they are very difficult to reach. I am losing sleep over it, worrying it's going to collapse during the night.

I need advice! A month ago we noticed a symmetrical concave area around one of the return jets, about the size of a dinner plate, where it's sinking in slightly (1/2" or less). The concrete is not cracked but there is a white line around the perimeter where the dishing starts. Does anyone know what would cause it and how it would be fixed? I called our installer but he's not returned my call yet. This is their busiest time of year and they are very difficult to reach. I am losing sleep over it, worrying it's going to collapse during the night.

Nothing to worry about.

That is how it was plastered from the start, which is standard if the fitting is recessed.

When was the pool plastered? The white looks like some light scale buildup - you can see it on the floor as well I think.

But none of the other jets look like that. They are all perfectly flat.
The pool was plastered with gray color in 2011. It's faded a lot in areas so that's what we thought the white was. Our pool has run a high pH ever since I switched to liquid chlorine several years ago. Is that what is causing the scale? I'm not sure how to get rid of it now. I will research

I'm not a chemistry guy, but you are in the right place for answers regarding the scale. Lots of people here with tons of experience who can point you in the right direction.

Behind that plaster is 8"+ of reinforced concrete, it's just not possible for that return to have sunk in like that without massive cracking and water loss going on. I am certain it was plastered that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.