Dish soap mishap

May 16, 2020
Paris, TN
First year taking care of our pool and I just made a boneheaded mistake. I tried to follow the instructions on the site to use dish detergent to clean my cartridge filters, but I didn’t know the difference between dish soap and detergent and I used six cups of Ajax liquid dish soap. I know the difference now... suds everywhere. I’ve rinsed them with the hose for almost three hours and they’re still covered in suds. I haven’t restarted the pump, so the pool isn’t contaminated, but I don’t know what to do. Is dish soap just an inconvenience that will break down soon? Or am I going to have to replace the filters? That’s around $200 I’d rather not spend because they’re only a season old. Does anyone have a trick for getting the dish soap out??

Oh wow, we need pictures! Sorry -------

Chlorine will break down the surfactants. If you have a trash can you can fill with water and a good dose of bleach and let them soak in that, it should cut down what happens when you put them back in the filter.

Reactions: gary300
I cannot see why. It will foam up in the pool. About like using splashless bleach.

Watch over things for a while once you re install them.

I would run a hose into the bucket for a couple of hours and you won't have to stand there holding it. (If you have proper drainage of course)

This same event happens when people (been there, done that) use dish soap in a dishwasher rather than dishwasher soap. It creates a bunch of bubbles and a mess to clean up. I think the solution is to use vinegar. try to google that and use that as a guide to breakdown the dish soap on the filters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.