Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

Trouble is I stare at it so hard it is hard I think I can still see it even it has really disappeared. It is kind of like staring at a light bulb then closing your eyes and still seeing it. ;)

When I think the dot has disappeared I shift the bottom of the tube to see if I can see that dot move. If I can see it move, then it's not really gone yet.

You can always add the amount you think you need for a certain level and then retest a half hour or so later to see if you reached your goal. If so, it's fresh.

If not, you can calculate the strength by manipulating the % by weight on the top line in PoolMath. Enter your pre-add FC, your post-add FC, and then change the percent until the number of ounces is what you added. That percent is close to what your bleach strength is and you can use it going forward until you use up the batch. I know it's confusing, but it will make more sense if you try it out.

I just looked at Pool Math but I am not getting that to come out making any sense. Say if I have a pre add FC of 18 and a post add FC or 24, if I manipulate the % to 10 of the 128 oz bottle it comes out 131 oz. I know I must be doing something wrong. Do the pre and post go in as "now" and "target"?

Why not just use the "effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom of pool math?

Pick an amount & see what it will do per the section, then put that amount in the pool and check 30 min or so after to see if the result is close to the prediction.

Be sure to enter your gallons at the top.

Dom

Change the 10% to a lower value like 9.5 (or whatever) until the number of recommended ounces matches what you added. (The effects of adding.... does not allow you to manipulate bleach strength to non-standard %'s.).

Edit: and yes, your pre-add goes in now and your post-add goes in target.

Update on todays (Tuesday 7/21)progress, Last night at 8:30 the FC read 21:

6:45a FC-18/CC-1.0
7:30a added 2 gallons
9:30a FC-27/CC-1.0
1:15p added 2 gallons
6:45p FC-16/CC-0.5
7:00p added 2 gallons
8:00p FC-30/CC-0.5

Water is very clear tonight. I am hoping that I will not loose any chlorine overnight and figure I may be finally almost done with SLAMMING, but won't count my chicks before they hatch.......

OK, was a bit confused at first but now see what you are saying. I am still using the 8.25% clorox bleach that I have left and I just put in 2 gallons of it and am going to take my last FC reading for the night in about 10 minutes and will try it to see what strength I get for it. Thanks.

ok - I have a pre FC of 16 and a post FC of 30; I added 242 oz. of clorox 8.25%. I adjusted the % to come up with the 242 ounces used and it is 12.7%. So does that mean that instead of the clorox being 8.25% strength it is really 12.7%?

I get 11.9% for a 16K pool, not 12.7%.

A 11,700 gallon pool comes out perfectly at 8.25% concentration for 242 ounces. Good point on volume question, PAGirl!

Btw, I intended this check for your newly purchased 10% that you said might be weaker. Glad it has lead to the volume discussion!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And yes, fresh chlorine may be higher than listed on the label.

I use a different method for calculating my "true %" concentration and I have found that it is often higher than labelled. I live a few towns away from where it is bottled, so I can get super-fresh.

I might be, lol, but when I redid it, I got the same. Though I used the 17,100 that it calculated the volume of a 27X48" (actual water level) to be. I used the poolmath calculator that's linked at the top of the page. If I had my iPad I'd screen shot it, but I'm on my laptop.

Mkaklis: I redid my calculations for 17,100 gallons and I did get 12.7% bleach. I was going off your signature at 16,000 and I get the 11.9%.

I am sorry that your thread got side-tracked with this. That was not my intent!!!

PAGirl: This is so weird. My results are consistent too!!! Under "effects of adding", I get for 17.1K, 242oz of 8.25% gives 9.4ppm rise in FC. SO weird!!!

Did you calculate the gallons of your pool based on the height of the pool or the actual water height?

By actual height 27' 48"

- - - Updated - - -

I get 11.9% for a 16K pool, not 12.7%.

A 11,700 gallon pool comes out perfectly at 8.25% concentration for 242 ounces. Good point on volume question, PAGirl!

Btw, I intended this check for your newly purchased 10% that you said might be weaker. Glad it has lead to the volume discussion!

I used the 17,100 that Pool Math calculated at 27' 48"; glad it led to this discussion also; sure tells me how much I don't know. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Mkaklis: I redid my calculations for 17,100 gallons and I did get 12.7% bleach. I was going off your signature at 16,000 and I get the 11.9%.

I am sorry that your thread got side-tracked with this. That was not my intent!!!

PAGirl: This is so weird. My results are consistent too!!! Under "effects of adding", I get for 17.1K, 242oz of 8.25% gives 9.4ppm rise in FC. SO weird!!!

Don't worry about the side-track; I found this really interesting. Thanks for all the input.

Hahaha! Well, at least you know (one way) of checking your bleach strength! So the verdict is: you have a 17K pool and really strong bleach! Hope the next batch is good too!!!

Just out of interest, I have tested my "12.5%" as high as 17. Unfortunately, the reverse scenario of having weaker than listed strength is too often the case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.