Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

I'm an early-bird too; also on central time. Thought I'd get on here to see what happened yesterday evening and be ready to see how the OCLT turns out this morning. I'm hopeful, since that cc # finally dropped a little yesterday. It seemed like once it got down to 1.0, it wanted to stay there a while. I see what you guys/gals mean about that last 10%.

I can't believe you lost 8 overnight. Are you waiting long enough between adding chlorine and testing? I'd wait at least an hour when testing for the overnight test.

I couldn't believe it either; have tried to be very careful about taking the test. Maybe my eyesights going bad :rolleyes:. I added 2 gallons at 7:00 pm last night and did not take reading until a few minutes after 8:00 pm so I thought that would have been enough time. Tonight I may try adding the last bleach of the day at about 5 or 6 and take the reading at about 8.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning about 7:00 am I read FC at 22 and waited about 30 minutes and put in 1 gallon bleach then waited 2 hours and at 9:30 am read FC at 22. Then at 4:00 pm I read the FC at 15 and the CC is somewhat still at 0.5 but kind of on the edge of between 0.5 and 1.0, so I put another gallon of bleach. One thing I did notice when I go to put the 5 drops of R-0003 in the clear water has already started turning pinkish again. Seems the longer it just sits the more pink it turns. Is this normal? If I put the drops in quickly while water is still very clear it only takes 1 drop (0.5) but the longer I et it sit it takes 2 drops to clear again (1.0).

This morning about 7:00 am I read FC at 22 and waited about 30 minutes and put in 1 gallon bleach then waited 2 hours and at 9:30 am read FC at 22. Then at 4:00 pm I read the FC at 15 and the CC is somewhat still at 0.5 but kind of on the edge of between 0.5 and 1.0, so I put another gallon of bleach. One thing I did notice when I go to put the 5 drops of R-0003 in the clear water has already started turning pinkish again. Seems the longer it just sits the more pink it turns. Is this normal? If I put the drops in quickly while water is still very clear it only takes 1 drop (0.5) but the longer I et it sit it takes 2 drops to clear again (1.0).

Just wondering, could something else be going on here? I seem to be passing 2 of the test for the SLAM to be complete, the CC at 0.5 and water is clear. But can't seem to get pass the OCLT overnight FC loss test with a loss of 1.0 ppm or less. It has been anywhere from 3.0 loss to 12.0 loss. This is driving me batty. Going out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday so was really hoping to get past all this but it don't look like I will make it unless it happens tonight. I am going to have a neighbor boy come over and put in a gallon of Kemtek bleach in every evening just to make sure all my efforts are not wasted.

You are losing a lot of ppm during the day. It's around 12ppm loss from 7am-4pm. That is too much! Something is there... Have you cleaned every hidey-place? I don't have time now to reread everything. Is your ladder out? Do you have a skimmer with a weir? Any other feature? Brushing regularly?

You are losing a lot of ppm during the day. It's around 12ppm loss from 7am-4pm. That is too much! Something is there... Have you cleaned every hidey-place?

No, from 7am - 4pm only lost 7 ppm. It is overnight that I am loosing most. I have been putting the last bleach in at 7:00pm and reading about 8:00pm. Sunday night at 7:00pm I put my last bleach in / Sunday night at 8pm my FC was 27, Monday morning at 6:30 (before I put any bleach in and before sun hit) FC was 15 / Monday night I put last bleach in at 7:30pm and at 8:30pm my FC was 21. Tuesday morning at 6:45 (again before I put any bleach in) FC was 18 / Tuesday night I put last bleach in at 7:00pm and at 8:00 pm FC was 30. Wednesday morning at 7:00am before I put any bleach in FC was at 22 and at 4:00 pm was at 15 (but only put in 1 gal bleach at 7:30am). I put another gallon in at 4:00pm. I just put another gallon bleach in at 7:30pm and will test at 9:30pm tonight for last time today. I have vacuumed and cleaned behind the steps and around skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and my CC test was 0.5 the last couple of times.

I am only looking at today for now. trying to get dinner ready.

You went from 22 to 15, that's 7ppm and the gallon of bleach you added at 7:30 would be about another 5 ppm. Sorry to get into the math thing again (YIKES!) Unless I am misunderstanding you, you have to account for the gallon you added.

Edit: regardless, if you hadn't added the gallon at 7:30, your loss would still be 7ppm and that's still significant.

Did you clean under the steps?

I am only looking at today for now. trying to get dinner ready.

You went from 22 to 15, that's 7ppm and the gallon of bleach you added at 7:30 would be about another 5 ppm. Sorry to get into the math thing again (YIKES!) Unless I am misunderstanding you, you have to account for the gallon you added.

Edit: regardless, if you hadn't added the gallon at 7:30, your loss would still be 7ppm and that's still significant.

Did you clean under the steps?

Yes, I cleaned under the steps. I put in a gallon (128 oz) of 10% Kemtek bleach at 7:30pm; will take last test tonight at 9:30pm and will see what loss I have overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

Will post results first thing in morning.

It is normal for teh solution to turn back pink if you let it sit. Add 5 drops and if its clear, you are good. If its still pink after 5 drops, then immediately start adding R 0871.

The same will happen to your FC test solution too. So, you need to start the CC test immediately after the FC test goes clear.
I alway have my R003 with the top off and ready as soon as Im done with FC.

One thing I did notice when I go to put the 5 drops of R-0003 in the clear water has already started turning pinkish again. Seems the longer it just sits the more pink it turns. Is this normal? If I put the drops in quickly while water is still very clear it only takes 1 drop (0.5) but the longer I et it sit it takes 2 drops to clear again (1.0).

Last night at 9:30pm FC18 - this morning at 7:00am FC16; pool very clear.

Having to leave town midday today; will put in a couple gallons bleach; Friday & Saturday evening I have someone coming over to put in 3 gallons each night, then I will be back on Sunday to pick up again. Hopefully this will maintain. Will it be better to put in 3 gallons or just 2 gallons and leave a chlorine puck in to help keep from losing too much chlorine during the day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.