Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

Good morning. I wasn't Able to find any other metal control products at Leslie's online, which is why I'd thought they'd given you metal free ;)

If you still have the bottles re this, let e know the mfg name and I can look up the ingredient sheet:
and this time put in a metal out with a maintenance treatment of metal control.

I am using the Pool Math chart and realize that since the FC is holding I should only put in what Pool Math suggests but since today was the first day I got upward results I just wanted to make sure I got to that FC 20 mark as quickly as possible, and with all I put in it took all day. I put in the last 3 gallons for today at 7:00 and just took FC test at 8:00. FC is 27 and CC is 1.0. I am stopping for the night and hope that in the morning when I take the FC test it has held and my water looks better. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Just for everyone's information here is my todays readings:

11:30 4 gallons bleach - FC 7.0 at 12:30
2:15 3 gallons bleach - FC 14.0 at 2:45
3:20 3 gallons bleach - FC @18.0 at 4:00 (CC @ 1.5)
4:45 3 gallons bleach - FC @20.0 at 6:00 (CC @ 1.5)
7:00 3 gallons bleach - FC @27.0 at 8:00 (CC @ 1.0)

I will see what the FC is before sun hits water tomorrow morning. Praying for no or very little loss in FC and clear water. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

NIGHT ALL - WILL BE BACK IN THE MORNING. THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERYTHING!
Wow, that took a lot of bleach before it started holding! Good for you for your persistence, and for your patience in answering everyone's questions along the way! This process does work, but you've had an unusually challenging introduction to it, for sure ��

I'm curious what you will find this morning.

Good morning. I wasn't Able to find any other metal control products at Leslie's online, which is why I'd thought they'd given you metal free ;)

If you still have the bottles re this, let e know the mfg name and I can look up the ingredient sheet:

Not sure but I think the one I used did have a maintenance treatment as I some of it and more later. Can't remember for sure though since it was a while ago and so much has happened since. I don't have think I have the bottles any longer because my hubby threw out the garbage since then.

Good morning everyone. Woke up this morning and tested FC & CC - my results:

FC - 15; CC - 1.5 sooooooo guess I'm not done. But water is MUCH clearer so I think I am well on my way. According to Pool Math I will need to put in 1 gallon of bleach so I will keep on truckin'. Am hoping by tonight I will pass the OCLT test and have clear water and a CC of .5 or lower.

It make take a few more nights, but you should use significantly less bleach and be able to go a bit longer between testing. The last 10% is the hardest. Keep brushing and filtering. It took me 10 days to pass all three tests.

When you get to the point where you can see the bottom of the pool, you can swim if the FC is just below your shock level. My SLAM was in early spring so no one was anxious to swim.

You're doing great and gave definitely turned a corner! A lot of people give up too soon and that puts them right back in a bad situation.

Have a great day!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent job so far!. ..and like Lisa P. said, the last 10% is the hardest and takes time...it really does; but your bleach additions will go way down and your pool will begin to look great...so your pride goes way up too. Don't forget to brush ladders and anything else that is in the pool. Good luck!

Glad to see you're almost there. It shouldn't take much chlorine to maintain that level today & retest in the morning. What was the total amount of bleach so far?

I think it was about 32 gallons + another 1 this morning. I just measured again after adding one at about 7:00 and FC is now at 18 so I am going to put another 51 oz. in. according to Pool Math.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was about 32 gallons + another 1 this morning. I just measured again after adding one at about 7:00 and FC is now at 18 so I am going to put another 51 oz. in. according to Pool Math.

Actually I think it is more like 38 - 40; not sure anymore because I have gone through so much of it and went out and bought more several times. But I think I bought about 48 - 50 total so far and have about 10 left.

It make take a few more nights, but you should use significantly less bleach and be able to go a bit longer between testing. The last 10% is the hardest. Keep brushing and filtering. It took me 10 days to pass all three tests.

When you get to the point where you can see the bottom of the pool, you can swim if the FC is just below your shock level. My SLAM was in early spring so no one was anxious to swim.

You're doing great and gave definitely turned a corner! A lot of people give up too soon and that puts them right back in a bad situation.

Have a great day!

[emoji176] Lisa P.

I can see the bottom now and it is getting clearer all the time; very clear but just not exactly crystal clear yet. Will put vaccuum in today and probably change filter again tonight.

They are predicting rain here tomorrow, sure hope it doesn't come to pass. I am going too well for something to put a damper on everything now.

Also, one question. I may have to go out of town Wednesday and will be gone until Sunday. Don't know what my levels will be by then but was hoping it would be done by then. What should I do to keep it good until I get back, or if I have not passed the OCLT test by then, then what should I do?

- - - Updated - - -

As a note, I just replaced my ladder steps after my slam and there was some crazy stuff on the bottom of the steps. Be sure to hit those things well, even pulling the steps off if you can to clean.

Thanks, I will be sure to look at that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't worry about rain; just keep checking and raising your FC levels exactly as you are now. If anything, lack of direct sun on the pool should help you out.

Don't be discouraged if it takes a few more days to get to the end (I would have been amazed if you had passed OCLT this morning already).

Regarding absence later this week, will anyone be around to pour bleach in the pool, or will the pool be left to its own devices?

Don't worry about rain; just keep checking and raising your FC levels exactly as you are now. If anything, lack of direct sun on the pool should help you out.

Don't be discouraged if it takes a few more days to get to the end (I would have been amazed if you had passed OCLT this morning already).

Regarding absence later this week, will anyone be around to pour bleach in the pool, or will the pool be left to its own devices?

It may be left to its own devices, unfortunately. The only thing I may be able to do is to get the boy who feeds the deer and the tomcat to put some bleach in every night; but I would have to measure out for him in containers what I want him to put in each night and he would be able to dump it in but not do any of the brushing or anything. That would have to be done when I get home Sunday, and I can handle Wednesday morning. It would just be Thurs, Fri, and Sat that he would have to do add anything. Also I would have to leave the bleach outside so it would get kinda hot.

I would think some bleach is better than none. Put the bleach where it would be in the shade and stay as cool as possible. Even if he Added just two gallons a day, preferably in the evening, that would be better than nothing.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

I would think some bleach is better than none. Put the bleach where it would be in the shade and stay as cool as possible. Even if he Added just two gallons a day, preferably in the evening, that would be better than nothing.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

2 gallons a day would be only if I had not passed the OCLT test, right? I was thinking it would need less if the OCLT was passed either tonight or tomorrow night but I guess I may be wrong.

It could just be one. It's hard to
Say because you won't be home to determine your pools non-algae appetite. Track how much bleach you use today and tomorrow; use that as a guide.

It's better to have a little too much, than not enough. You've worked so hard.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

It could just be one. It's hard to
Say because you won't be home to determine your pools non-algae appetite. Track how much bleach you use today and tomorrow; use that as a guide.

It's better to have a little too much, than not enough. You've worked so hard.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

You are right, I'm sure. And yes, I have worked on this so hard and am now so encouraged by it that I would hate to take a step backwards right now. At the end of today I will post my amounts and test readings for the day. This site has been a true Godsend to me; everyone has been such a big help.

Today I put in 4 gallons bleach between 10:30 - 7:30 and readings increased on FC from 16 to 21 with CC still at 1.0. My last amount of bleach was put in at 7:30 - I put in 1 gallong and at 8:30 my FC was 21 and CC at 1.0. I will read again early in the morning.

One note though I was curious to see if my CYA was still reading the same - I don't know whether I misread the first time (I think I reported results as 50) but I did it again 2 more times and I get more like 70. Of course I find it a bit difficult on this one because, when I am looking down at the tube waisthigh it is hard to tell if I still see the black dot or not. Are you supposed to take the reading when you first start loosing site of the dot or wait until you can't see it at all anymore. It makes a difference for me of about 10 points sometimes. I know it is probably just my eyesight :lol:. Wish there was an easier way of testing this one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.