Lancaster county PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Pb finished my pool on Monday, sort of was told they added salt well they didn't. So I'm getting ready to add it and the storms start rolling in. So after work today I drained some water out since It was over the skimmer and added the 320lbs of salt and set the swg on boost like I was told swg is still blinking low salt and now once again heavy storms are rolling in nodoubt I'll need to drain more after work tomorrow. Advice please what do you with a crummy start up.

Take your Free Chlorine up to your desired level using Liquid Chlorine..... when the SWG goes online it will *maintain* that level but it works too slowly to bring your FC up from zero to x amount, before algae can move in.

Which test kit are you using?? Do you also have the K-1766 salt test kit?? Did you run a full set for us-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA- won't show up unless PB added it.
Salt level

Maddie :flower:

Ok...since reading my post did you go turn OFF the SWG??

And we can make no suggestions based on pool store tests. They're wrong more often than right. Why don't you get a good test kit and join the TFP folks whose pools and spas are scrupulously clean and sparkling. :)

I like the TF-100, others like the K-2006C (but it costs more). You must have a kit with the FAS-DPD tester for Chlorine at higher levels.
TF-100 is sold by www.tftestkits.net
The K-2006C is sold on Amazon.

I did not go back outside we are having crazy storms the pb needs to finish filling in a trench that has all the plumbing . Not very easy getting to it in the dark. I do to get bleach and a better test kit all they gave was strips and not much point right now anyways since only thing in it is 320 lbs of salt and a heck of a lot of rain.

Because of all the storms last night and I just let the swg finish it's boost cycle. After that it is running at 20 and at least it's not blinking red low salt so I did add enough salt. All these storms are making adjustments pointless as I keep having to drain water out of the pool. More storms coming again tonight. The lamotte insta test 3 plus I know not accurate ph 8.4 ALK 180 FC- 3 I did pick up a Taylor k-2005 complete and I'm going to do those tests tomorrow to see what I need to do.

I'm a bit ocd and have been freaking out with testing. I know you all don't trust pool store tests but being a new pool owner I don't trust myself as well. This whole time my water is very clear. I have been trying some of the tests in the kit and just took a sample in to the pool store I feel a lot better about my tests as they were very close to what the store print out was. I still need to get the ph down a little and I'm adding one more bag of salt that they owed me.
FC- 5.62 TC- 6.17 CC-O.55 PH-8.1 ALK-176 HARDNESS-232 CYA-46 SALT-3100

I know you all don't trust pool store tests but being a new pool owner I don't trust myself as well
You should trust yourself. I trust you and I don't even know you. Nice to meet you tho and now I do. :)

I wrote this exactly for folks in your shoes, unsure and overwhelmed by it all. My over the top explanation will put it in the right ridiculous perspective. It's not scary, It's stupid easy. If you try. Have a read :

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It becomes a problem when you compare pool store testing to your own. Do your own testing and don't go to the pool store. They can put stuff in your brain that'll drive you nuts as you're new at it. The only time I go into the pool store is when the strip of stores I'm at has a pool store and time to burn. I leave when I get upset enough after hearing advice they give customers and boy o boy, the unbreakable eye contact when they're showing how bad the water is and you need this and that.......guy said don't worry we'll have someone help you to your vehicle with a hand truck, then the famous last words "how do you wish to pay". 💰

I learned the pool store lesson early… when I bought our portable spa, the store owner’s advice on sanitation after startup was “just continue to use Dichlor.” Having previously learned the bleach method from TFP, and that CYA will continue to climb with continued use of dichlor, I knew enough to never return to that store again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.