Dirty water blowing back in pool while backwashing

Apr 9, 2019
Louisiana
I have dirty water, (looks like possibly Algae, not sure maybe just dirty water) blowing back in my pool from return jets during and while I'm backwashing pool. My pool can be crystal clear, but after I backwash, it's cloudy and dirty. This does not happen when vacuuming the pool, only backwashing. What may be my issue?

Welcome to the forum:wave:
Most common reason is failure to rinse after backwashing. You should go to the "rinse" position for at least one minute and sometimes longer. Can you see the water coming out of the pool in either "rinse" or "backwash"?

Another far less common cause could be a damaged spider gasket inside the multiport.....tell us about the rinse issue first.

Welcome to the forum:wave:
Most common reason is failure to rinse after backwashing. You should go to the "rinse" position for at least one minute and sometimes longer. Can you see the water coming out of the pool in either "rinse" or "backwash"?

Another far less common cause could be a damaged spider gasket inside the multiport.....tell us about the rinse issue first.
I do a complete rinse, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. Maybe the spider gasket could be the problem I guess.

Yes, I have been in the process of cleaning up some Algea, so during the backwash process there is dirty water in the site glass. I have done a back wash once a week for the past 3 weeks.
After about a minute of backwashing, the dirty water is coming out of the Jets for about a minute, or so, then I noticed about 2 minutes in the process, the water was clearer coming out. This is how it is Everytime I backwash. You can tell there looks to be trash and Algea both coming back in pool

You can tell there looks to be trash and Algea both coming back in pool
That typically indicates you are not rinsing long enough. The sight glass should be clear when you finish the rinse.

If it is clear at the end of the rinse and you STILL get debris back in the pool, I would take the multiport apart and inspect the spider gasket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.