Dirt / stains in bottom of pool?

You can't trust the pool store. They hire kids on summer break or retirees looking for a little extra money, barely train them, then turn them loose on the unsuspecting public to perform chemical testing they don't understand, while expecting them to be able to correlate the results into a true picture of your pool.

You'll do better with your own test kit and help from TFP.

I've often thought about trying to get a PT job at the local pool store, just so I could calibrate their water testing machine and keep it calibrated, and introduce good lab techniques into doing the testing (rinsing vials and other equipment with distilled water between customers, rinsing before testing with sample water, that sort of thing). I'd probably get fired for taking too long!🤓👹

But yeah, do the mustard algae protocol and scrub, scrub, scrub. Good luck!

eh since i'm still at 12.5 maybe i'll just bring it up to 35 now and see what it does.

Don't take shortcuts. Start with a regular SLAM Process, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure your FC is holding, then when you pass the Three Criteria do the mustard SLAM. A lot of what TFP is about is consistency and accuracy.

Don't take shortcuts. Start with a regular SLAM Process, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure your FC is holding, then when you pass the Three Criteria do the mustard SLAM. A lot of what TFP is about is consistency and accuracy.
right, I'm just drifting down from the last SLAM. going to bring it back up to the mustard level tonight.

the pool store here is ran by a couple locals who have been here forever, probably one of the more trustworthy ones. they took a look at the plastic I brought in and said rust before they even tested the water. obviously they could be wrong, but these aren't inexperienced/min-wage workers.

There are good pool stores and people working at them out there, but we can never be sure when people are getting good advice and when they're not. >.>

The main point of the mustard algae protocol is to bring it up to mustard levels and keep it there as best you can for 24 hours. That means checking it every 30 to 60 min and adding more chlorine. Scrub the pool vigorously between additions.

Personally, I'd wait to start it til early tomorrow morning (or Saturday for working joes) and spend the day with a cool beverage, my brush, and enough chlorine to do the job. I'll bet, if you start at 7, chlorine consumption will be slowing and by early to mid afternoon will be nil. That's what my mustard SLAM did last year.

Brought it up to mustard algae level overnight and added some more this morning. Been scrubbing but no impact so far. Threw in the pool vacuum and another gallon of chlorine as I have to run some errands.

Pool guy who opened up the pool is coming by Wednesday -- not sure what ideas he may have that we haven't tried yet but I'd like to get some more eyes on the actual pool and not just pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still leaking -- put some flex seal on it, did the bucket test, but still lost 3/8ths of an inch overnight (by my math, about 150 gallons) without the pump running. Wife suspected we had a leak before all this happened based on how often we needed to fill the pool compared to prior years.

Bracing myself for needing a new liner, not sure if I'm going to be able to limp my way through the season on this one.

Managed to rip my liner scrubbing this stuff. Throwing in the towel until the pool guy comes Wednesday.
Unfortunately, you were advised to keep scrubbing & scraping long after your initial efforts didn't work. I would never use anything more abrasive than a 3M scrubbing pad, and not for aggressive or prolonged scrubbing. What you are doing is seeking a remedy without knowing what the problem is. At this juncture, I would take the frame from the pool cleaner to a commercial laboratory for analysis of the spots. You may have something that is beyond the scope of typical pool testing. In the meantime, you might try some oxalic acid, which is effective for removing stains caused by greasy/oily substances. As for the cut in your liner, I can't tell the size or location from the picture, but It appears to be repairable. I would attempt a patch before replacement. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.