Dirt/Dead Algae?

Jun 10, 2018
Carroll, OH
Good morning fellow TFPers!

I had this same problem last year...I have these spots that show up on the bottom of the pool. You can see them in the attached pictures. It's really bad in the middle of the pool because last night we had some high winds & most of that is leaves/pine needles.However, I run the pool vac or sweep, etc, and these spots show up a few days later gain. We do live out in the country across from farm fields. I also use skimmer socks and we have REALLY HIGH Pollen...

I use liquid chlorine - 1/2 gallon per day is perfect for my pool. Should I be going up to "shock levels" once a week? Will that help? I'm not sure if those spots are dead algae, dust, pollen, etc...As you can see the water is crystal clear otherwise. I haven't adjusted pool chems yet because my water is still 55 degrees. However, last year when testing water once I got out of SLAM - I did not have any CC's in the pool all year.

Any help is great!

20200513_124532627_iOS.jpg20200513_124537658_iOS.jpg

So when I would swim last year, I took a pair of goggles and went to the bottom - it almost looks like brown dust. It sweeps up very easy. Once it gets disturbed, it disappears in the water. Test results are all in normal spec...

FC - 5
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
CH - 300
TA - 120
CYA - 20

Not worried about CYA low right now - its not warm out enough yet. Will raise once temps rise.

Probably dirt. Keep an eye on it. Easy for you to go to SLAM level FC if you wish for a day or two.

Get your CYA up to 30 or 40 soon.

Probably dirt. Keep an eye on it. Easy for you to go to SLAM level FC if you wish for a day or two.

Get your CYA up to 30 or 40 soon.
Thanks! Yup - I’ve got CYA and a sock - will be putting it in probably today or tomorrow.

I’m pretty sure it’s dirt/pollen. My skimmer socks get a thick layer of yellow stuff by the end of the day.

I also just rinsed a couple of socks I used the last few days in a bucket...and at the bottom of the bucket is what looks like the bottom of the pool. I think we solved it.

Thanks for everyone’s help & input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.