Digging tomorrow, need quick depth recomendation lengths help!!

Apr 8, 2017
houston texas
Digging tomorrow and I am trying to get my lengths down for each depth interval.

I am 6'2" --> so I can stand comfortably in 5' of water
My wife is 5'10 --> I think 5 ft would be to deep for her to stand in comfortable.

So, would everyone agree that a 5' section of any length is useless since I would be the only person that could stand comfortably in the water? if people cant stand comfortably and enjoy drinks, then I might as well start the transition to the deep end instead of having a dedicated 5 ft. section

Ok....here is what I am thinking. this is a 40 ft. long pool. My wife wants a 3.5' shallow end and since I'm taller I want a 4' shallow end so we are trying to compromise.

1) 3.5' shallow end for 8 ft. --> the 3.5' would transition the entire time to 4' of what within 8 ft.
2) 4' shallow end after 3.5 section for 14' ft.
3) transition from 4' of shallow to max depth of 8' deep end is roughly 12' long
4) Deep end now has only 6' ft length

that totals 40'....my thoughts are I would rather have 10' of deep end but I cant/don't want to take away from the 4' shallow part and I'm sure my wife would not be happy if the 3.5' shallow part was any smaller.

is 6' of a deep end long enough with a 12' transition? --> 6' is definitely not enough water, but with the 12' transition will that make it enough?

For diving code requires the deep end hopper to be 8 feet long and 8 feet wide before the transition slope of 12 feet. I would ask yourself and family how you plan on using your pool....is it more for diving or playing sports. Your pool builder should be able to help as well. We struggled with this decision as well.
Good luck :)

I'm a little taller than you and we went with a 4ft shallow end to start and it's perfect. My wife is 5"7 so she is shorter than your wife.
Take a tape measure and hold it up to your wife at 4ft and I think she will be happy. Also if your 4ft for shallow you don't need to have a are of 5ft, you can just start your slope to the deep end after maybe 20ft or so

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.