Digging out a buried pool

anthmatic

Jun 15, 2023
New Hampshire
At one time, our house had an in-ground pool which has since been filled in. I've always been curious about the pool and lately I've gotten a bit of pool envy so it seems like a good time to start exploring!

IMG_2725.JPG

I don't have many details, but I believe that it was installed somewhere around 1978. The 1 picture I have (above) is from that year and it's same year the garage bathroom/changing room was built. I believe that it was filled in around 2000, but I'm not 100% sure. I was told that the previous owner was getting older and just didn't want to take care of it. The area where the pool is gets muddy in the Spring, but seems to dry up quickly so I'm hoping that the sides are intact and I'm just looking at a couple of holes punched in the deep end.

I’ve done some digging and exposed a corner of the pool, a section of intact concrete walkway, and the top stair step. The pool appears to have concrete walls, I’m not sure if it’s plaster or had a liner yet. It looks like the plumbing is PVC. The pump house is still there, along with the pump, filter, and subpanel but I realize that all of that plumbing/equipment would need to be replaced if I ever get that far.

IMG_1639.jpg

So, I think my next step is to continue digging by hand to find all of the edges/coping and see if that’s all still intact. I'll be digging by hand, so I expect to chip away at this part slowly but I'll try to post my progress here. As I'm exposing the edges, I'm curious what you would all look for- specifically anything that would be a show stopper.

So, I think my next step is to continue digging by hand to find all of the edges/coping and see if that’s all still intact. I'll be digging by hand, so I expect to chip away at this part slowly but I'll try to post my progress here.

SO in to watch. THANKS.

Anyday we get to play Raiders March (J.Williams) is a good day.

tumblr_ovia2npbsa1sew9fzo1_540.gif

Here's some others for inspiration and what you may encounter.

Reactions: anthmatic
At one time, our house had an in-ground pool which has since been filled in. I've always been curious about the pool and lately I've gotten a bit of pool envy so it seems like a good time to start exploring!

View attachment 511264

I don't have many details, but I believe that it was installed somewhere around 1978. The 1 picture I have (above) is from that year and it's same year the garage bathroom/changing room was built. I believe that it was filled in around 2000, but I'm not 100% sure. I was told that the previous owner was getting older and just didn't want to take care of it. The area where the pool is gets muddy in the Spring, but seems to dry up quickly so I'm hoping that the sides are intact and I'm just looking at a couple of holes punched in the deep end.

I’ve done some digging and exposed a corner of the pool, a section of intact concrete walkway, and the top stair step. The pool appears to have concrete walls, I’m not sure if it’s plaster or had a liner yet. It looks like the plumbing is PVC. The pump house is still there, along with the pump, filter, and subpanel but I realize that all of that plumbing/equipment would need to be replaced if I ever get that far.

View attachment 511277

So, I think my next step is to continue digging by hand to find all of the edges/coping and see if that’s all still intact. I'll be digging by hand, so I expect to chip away at this part slowly but I'll try to post my progress here. As I'm exposing the edges, I'm curious what you would all look for- specifically anything that would be a show stopper.
In to watch the progress. Only advice I have it to keep an eye out for bodies…

Was Jimmy ever in New Hampshire ? If you spread a rumor well enough, the Feds would come dig it up for free...

De Niro Film GIF by NETFLIX

This is awesome, I hope you can uncover the pool and get it serviceable again. I would plan to spend twice as long, and twice as much as what you may have already budgeted...lol :laughblue: But I am rooting for you!

Reactions: anthmatic
This is a good "dig out old pool" thread.

I seem to recall previous folks who dug out their pool had issues finding builders wanting to even touch a pool that was previously buried. You may want to consider looking at builders around your area who would be interested to help with the remodel before going further. Last thing you want is to excavate and have no builders to remodel it.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Oly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a good "dig out old pool" thread.
Thanks, I hadn't seen this one yet. Really great restoration!

I seem to recall previous folks who dug out their pool had issues finding builders wanting to even touch a pool that was previously buried. You may want to consider looking at builders around your area who would be interested to help with the remodel before going further. Last thing you want is to excavate and have no builders to remodel it.
I agree. My hope is that I will be able to DIY most work and sub out any work I can't handle. IF I get to the point of excavating, I'll most likely rent machines and do that myself so in the absolute worst case scenario I'll just fill it in.

That said, completely demoing the pool and having a builder install new isn't out of the question if I need to go that route. Trying to keep my options open.

Reactions: kimkats
I have an extra 10 minutes today so I dug around and uncovered the original tile. Pretty retro! You can see that theres also some missing, I'm not sure how extensive that is yet but I'll try to find another 10 minutes to dig some more and take a look soon.

I'm thinking that I'll rent a machine to keep uncovering the walkway and coping at some point...

IMG_2580.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.