Dig day july 20th

Wait about 15 mins, with the pump running on high, between each addition of chlorine and MA. They do NOT play well together!! The CYA can be put in the sock and added any time. It will take a day or so to dissolve all of the way.

Testing after addition of FC or MA-wait about 30 mins after addition to give it time to mix good.

Testing after CYA has dissolved all the way-Once it is 100% dissolved wait a day then test.

Did my second test. FC 0. Ph 8.2. TA 70. CH 450. CYA 40.
I will add 58 oz. of liquid chlorine. 15 oz. of MA. 70 oz. of dry stabilizer.
I have a question about the chlorine. Since the water is at 50 degrees. Should I even worry about adding chlorine? Or do I have to keep the FC level up to the same as it will be in the summertime?
Also, I have the speed stir with my tf-pro kit. I use it for the Chlorine drop test. I put the stir stick in the test tube. Also, for the TA test can I also use the speed stir? Do I spin the tube continuously while I am adding the R-009? I guess there is not a way for me to use the speed stir while doing the CYA test. Just to make sure I am using the speed stir correctly. I drop the stir stick in the tubes and use it anytime the instructions say mix or swirl?

You can use the magic stir for anything that says swirl and mix.

Yeah that CYA test is a pain but you will find your way. My way is to NOT look for the dot. I just GLANCE in then look away as I pour the water to each mark. If you look of it you will see it. Glance in and move on.

Happy Holidays and congratulations on your new pool and all the excitement that goes along with it. A few posts ago, there were some instructions about using MA. I would just add one more - have a hose handy. You don’t want to be looking for a hose if you have an accident. Have a hose with the water on by your side. Same with liquid chlorine if you ever use it. It’s nowhere near as nasty as MA, but have the hose with you.

Thank you for everyone's replies. I am learning a lot. My Ph is still showing 8.2. I added 15 ounces of MA again. That is the third time I have added that amount in the last week. My TA went down to 60. Pool Math says to add 35 ounces of baking soda. Should I do that? I am having a hard time getting my Ph down. Again, I have not been too concerned about the chlorine level because the water temp never gets higher than 52 degrees. It seems the chlorine would have to be added every day. I am buying HDX chlorine 10% in a 2-gallon pack for $17.98 at Home Depot. I will do the CYA test again tomorrow.

Are you home today? What to play "chase" the pH?

First lets get your TA up to 80. Have your pump turn on high so things happen fast as far as mixing. Use Pool Math and dose for a TA of 80 and let it mix for about 30 mins or so. No need to test right now.

Now lets play "chase the pH". Again have the pump on high to mix it up good. Also have the pool brush right by your side. Use care and don't rush when using MA. Don't even bother testing the pH right now.

-Use pool math to see how much MA to add to get your pH down to 7.8. Pour it slowly in front of a deep end return. Brush that area of the pool to make sure it does not settle on your plaster.

-Let the pump run for about 15 mins

-Test pH. If it is not in the 7s yet then do it all over again. It might be higher than the test goes.

You will test and dose until you get the pH down into the 7s.

*Once you do get the pH down into the 7s the TEST THE TA again make sure sure it did not get too low with the chase of pH.

Your new plaster will push the pH up fast as it cures. Keep an eye on it daily and do what needs to be done to keep it in the 7s. Also watch the TA.

I never thought I was going to see the Ph in the 7's. But after the fourth time of testing and dosing it finally got down to 7.6. I tested the TA after, and it went down to 60 again. In kimkats I trust. Thank you. I will be away for a couple of days. When I return, I will run the tests again.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and newdude
You won the race!! Well done! Now you know it can be done with a bit of effort.

The next thing I will teach you is about CSI as seen here:

The water temps really plays a big part in this one so make sure you have a thermometer for your pool.

This will help your plaster stay looking great for a good, long time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay I am back to learn more. Latest tests done Tuesday afternoon.
FC 0 I am not adding chlorine. I think the last time was one week ago. Should I be adding chlorine? The water temperature is 50 degrees. The SWG is removed since it does not run when the water is cold.
Ph 8.2 I added 10 ounces of MA. Tested again now Ph is 7.8.
TA 60 I have not added baking soda since last week. I will add 66 oz. more tomorrow.
CH 300 Says to add 311 oz. of calcium Chloride. I have never adjusted my CH before. Should I do this? If yes, what do I buy?
CYA 60 Says to add 28 oz. stabilizer. Should I?
CSI shows 0.02 but when I click on CSI the next screen shows me Calcite Saturation Index CSI Value of -0.36. I do not know much about this. Only the link Calcium Scaling I read provided by kimkats.
When I enter the test results in Pool Math if I am between the Recommended numbers am I ok to not add chemicals? Or should I always add the recommended chemicals to reach my target?

Should I be adding chlorine?
Yes. I find I only have to add it about once a week or so depending on the length of the day and brightness of the sun. Keep the FC a level for you CYA as seen in this chart:
1704279563175.jpeg
I have never adjusted my CH before. Should I do this?
What is the CH of your fill water? See what adjusting it does in Pool Math without really doing and go from there. That is one of the neat things about Pool Math. It will show you the overall effects of each item before you change or add anything.
If yes, what do I buy?
CYA 60 Says to add 28 oz. stabilizer. Should I?
It is good where it is for now.
I am between the Recommended numbers am I ok to not add chemicals
Yes.............play with the CSI to see what happens when you tweak this and that.

You are doing a LOT of learning! Well done!

Reactions: newdude
Yes. I find I only have to add it about once a week or so depending on the length of the day and brightness of the sun. Keep the FC a level for you CYA as seen in this chart:
View attachment 548283

What is the CH of your fill water? See what adjusting it does in Pool Math without really doing and go from there. That is one of the neat things about Pool Math. It will show you the overall effects of each item before you change or add anything.

It is good where it is for now.

Yes.............play with the CSI to see what happens when you tweak this and that.

You are doing a LOT of learning! Well done!
I added 72 oz. Of chlorine. Now my FC is 5.
The CH of my fill water is 175.
I don't really understand about the adjusting in pool math without really doing it means. What numbers do I put in?
My Ph went up to 8.2 again so I added 8 oz. Of MA. I have not added baking soda yet to bring my TA up.

So you see what having a lower CH does for your CSI without really doing it. Look at and play with the water temps to see how that affects the CSI. You are going to learn how each part of the water affects the overall health of the water. So if x is at y then this happens kinds of things.

So you see what having a lower CH does for your CSI without really doing it. Look at and play with the water temps to see how that affects the CSI. You are going to learn how each part of the water affects the overall health of the water. So if x is at y then this happens kinds of things.
Got it. Thank you.

So now I see how changing the values of these chemicals affect my CSI. The closer the CSI stays near zero the better I am right? This number I need to keep a close eye on ?

After using the tf-pro test kit for a couple of weeks now. The two bottles in the picture I have never used, and I do not see them on the instructions card. What are these for and how do I use them?
Also it looks like the bottles for the chlorine and the Ph will be used up faster than the rest of the bottles. When I get low how is the best way to get more?

20240105_152747.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support