Diferent Circupool Models output?

hey Brett, I stumbled upon this thread while researching for a new SWG and found this interesting cost table. is this still the best guesses these days in terms of cost comparison relatively? I know the SWG prices all went up.
@Rattus Suffocatus how do you like your Universal 40 so far? what is the lowest GPM/RPM you could run it, and what speed/duration are you running it for your pool? any regrets or if you were to do it again, would you pick something else?
If you want to make pool maint boring get a SWG and a robot cleaner :)
I have the edge40 and love it. All summer long storms sun vacation FC stayed at 7. I just add a splash of acid once every couple weeks and leave it alone.

Seems discount salt runs their best pricing around Jan through March

Reactions: setsailsoon
If you want to make pool maint boring get a SWG and a robot cleaner :)
I have the edge40 and love it. All summer long storms sun vacation FC stayed at 7. I just add a splash of acid once every couple weeks and leave it alone.

Seems discount salt runs their best pricing around Jan through March
I like the idea of boring pool maint :) how do you run your SWG, what RPM/GPM and hours? is edge40 good enough for your 28k gal?
I'm looking for SWG and robot, but have not seen any good sales this black friday.

I like the idea of boring pool maint :) how do you run your SWG, what RPM/GPM and hours? is edge40 good enough for your 28k gal?
I'm looking for SWG and robot, but have not seen any good sales this black friday.
The edge is a little different. Most models if you put at 50% then run wide open 90 minutes and off 90 minutes. The edge actually runs at 50% power all the time.
In the summer I run my pump and SWG 24x7 and have the edge set at about 35% power. I thought my pool was closer to 18000 gallons when I bought it but when I started adding salt I realized it was more like 28000. But the Edge40 still does the job. Plus it’s a “ newer revision “ if that means anything
it would be a great fit for you

Reactions: caycarem
For a robot, I also love the pentair SE which is the dolphin s200. Marina pool and spa is the best place to purchase IMHO. She has the best price and the few that have needed warranty work have been impressed with them.
They will run rebates early on the year but say “ must spend $849” but most get it anyway.

Reactions: caycarem
I searched all over the place on here and other sites to figure out my robot choice. As it turns out the first advice I got from @Jimrahbe was the best and most everybody agrees. Call Margarite at Marina Pools and ask what the best deal is on a robot sized for your pool. Very helpful, best price and great service. Be patient she must be getting pretty busy so you may have to leave a message. I'm getting close to the end of my first year and I'd go back to Marina Spa to check with them on anything they sell. Get this or something like it for the cord. Works great!
1606579599786.png
Wait 'till you see how nice your swg is going to be. I've had mine 2 years now. Should've added that back 5 years ago when Jim and other experts recommended it too!

I hope this helps!

Chris

I searched all over the place on here and other sites to figure out my robot choice. As it turns out the first advice I got from @Jimrahbe was the best and most everybody agrees. Call Margarite at Marina Pools and ask what the best deal is on a robot sized for your pool. Very helpful, best price and great service. Be patient she must be getting pretty busy so you may have to leave a message. I'm getting close to the end of my first year and I'd go back to Marina Spa to check with them on anything they sell. Get this or something like it for the cord. Works great!
View attachment 169672
Wait 'till you see how nice your swg is going to be. I've had mine 2 years now. Should've added that back 5 years ago when Jim and other experts recommended it too!

I hope this helps!

Chris
I use that for my cord also. I was able to mount the power supply inside a pool room and run the cord through the wall and across.
Now that the dolphin in resting for the winter I use it to cover the cord to the outdoor Christmas tree sitting on the hot tub 😀

Reactions: setsailsoon
I just got my 60+ working. I had all sorts of chem balance issues -- and a rogue pool guy who was working on the wrong pool -- ours. :) Right now with cloudier and cooler days, I have it at 30%. Between the SWG, the robot and a couple teenagers, I mostly stare at the pool in wonder. :) It's not too too cold to swim.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Universal 40 is an absolute beast.*** I am running it like 5 hours a day now at 8% since it's winter here now (but we don't close because the below freezing times at night at max a few hours even in January here in Tucson) and I am still having issues with it producing too much chlorine*. It's basically the same unit as the Hayward AquaRite/T-15 model, but with a slightly higher output cell. So far, after only one season, it's okay. I did have is scale completely up once, so it seems sensitive to high TA which I am always fighting.. but it was 20 minutes to clean out**.. It has an analog control for the percentage output (into a A/D in the controller microprocessor) so it's adjustable at 1% increments just like the expensive units are. Reads salt level as an inaccurate but consistent number. I like it... I am glad I picked it over one of the cheaper RJ/SJ's.

The disadvantage of it running hot and burning bright is that the cell life is shorter, but the cells are cheaper, and there is a chance that it might work with an aftermarket cell for a Hayward as well... not that I'd do that for the difference in price or anything, but it's good to know if Circupool ends up going somewhere.....

As for GPM.. I have no idea.. but I can run the Hayward VSP at about 800 RPM before the flow switch gets iffy... so pretty slow in my setup, and it's a vertical cell setup as well... very cramped. Most of the time I am running it with the pump on low, I do run a two hour high cycle at about 3/4 full speed and then 900 RPM for the rest of the day... it's on maybe 2/3 of that time at 8% right now. Yes 8%. Pool is covered and not being used.. for about 6 weeks now....

Regrets? No, I am glad I bought it when I did. At the new prices I might have stuck with bleach.

*In fact, my water temperature is now 55F and I am wondering when it will actually cut out production. It's not unhappy with the water at this temperature, but I am thinking I only have a couple of weeks left before I go back to liquid chlorine. I'll update when it cuts out. I need to actually find some chlorine as the stuff I am using now is like a year old and half strength (in the hot tub, which matters little). I gave up on the HASA supply at the pool store (e-Konomy) 25 miles away as I don't need the hassle anymore. I am hoping to find the one Wal-Mart that carries it year around, that seems to change from year to year.

There is a lot of technical information on the Hayward AquaRites and it all applied to the Universal. There is maybe an opportunity to buy this same unit from other resellers at about a $100 discount and there might actually be a benefit to getting one that uses an exact clone cell to a T-15. I am not sure if the Circupool variant would have that cell type blocked in the software or not.

** if you are like me and are going to have to descale the cell at least once a year, having cheaper replacements are not a bad thing, honestly....
*** My pool is somewhere in between 14K and 15Kgal. Yours at 22K would normally be "iffy" for something sized less than 2x the volume. The Universal 40 is a beast, I would think you'd have no issue running it at all on a 22Kgal pool.

Having a numbered salt readout is nicer than you'd think. If it starts dropping and your K-1766 doesn't... guess what? The cell is nearly scaled up... that's a nice thing so you don't come back from a weekend trip to a green pool....

And decent job on remembering my name... close...

Cheers,

Fred

The Universal 40 is an absolute beast.*** I am running it like 5 hours a day now at 8% since it's winter here now (but we don't close because the below freezing times at night at max a few hours even in January here in Tucson) and I am still having issues with it producing too much chlorine*. It's basically the same unit as the Hayward AquaRite/T-15 model, but with a slightly higher output cell. So far, after only one season, it's okay. I did have is scale completely up once, so it seems sensitive to high TA which I am always fighting.. but it was 20 minutes to clean out**.. It has an analog control for the percentage output (into a A/D in the controller microprocessor) so it's adjustable at 1% increments just like the expensive units are. Reads salt level as an inaccurate but consistent number. I like it... I am glad I picked it over one of the cheaper RJ/SJ's.

The disadvantage of it running hot and burning bright is that the cell life is shorter, but the cells are cheaper, and there is a chance that it might work with an aftermarket cell for a Hayward as well... not that I'd do that for the difference in price or anything, but it's good to know if Circupool ends up going somewhere.....

As for GPM.. I have no idea.. but I can run the Hayward VSP at about 800 RPM before the flow switch gets iffy... so pretty slow in my setup, and it's a vertical cell setup as well... very cramped. Most of the time I am running it with the pump on low, I do run a two hour high cycle at about 3/4 full speed and then 900 RPM for the rest of the day... it's on maybe 2/3 of that time at 8% right now. Yes 8%. Pool is covered and not being used.. for about 6 weeks now....

Regrets? No, I am glad I bought it when I did. At the new prices I might have stuck with bleach.

*In fact, my water temperature is now 55F and I am wondering when it will actually cut out production. It's not unhappy with the water at this temperature, but I am thinking I only have a couple of weeks left before I go back to liquid chlorine. I'll update when it cuts out. I need to actually find some chlorine as the stuff I am using now is like a year old and half strength (in the hot tub, which matters little). I gave up on the HASA supply at the pool store (e-Konomy) 25 miles away as I don't need the hassle anymore. I am hoping to find the one Wal-Mart that carries it year around, that seems to change from year to year.

There is a lot of technical information on the Hayward AquaRites and it all applied to the Universal. There is maybe an opportunity to buy this same unit from other resellers at about a $100 discount and there might actually be a benefit to getting one that uses an exact clone cell to a T-15. I am not sure if the Circupool variant would have that cell type blocked in the software or not.

** if you are like me and are going to have to descale the cell at least once a year, having cheaper replacements are not a bad thing, honestly....
*** My pool is somewhere in between 14K and 15Kgal. Yours at 22K would normally be "iffy" for something sized less than 2x the volume. The Universal 40 is a beast, I would think you'd have no issue running it at all on a 22Kgal pool.

Having a numbered salt readout is nicer than you'd think. If it starts dropping and your K-1766 doesn't... guess what? The cell is nearly scaled up... that's a nice thing so you don't come back from a weekend trip to a green pool....

Cheers,

Fred
I bought the tool to clean mine vs acid soaking it but I didn’t get a lot on mine

I bought the tool to clean mine vs acid soaking it but I didn’t get a lot on mine

The way the Universal cell is constructed (it's in PVC) is different, you can't take the plates out at all.. I am not sure that SJ tool would work. I did use a plastic tool of my own making to CAREFULLY knock off the bigger chunks... I couldn't find the cleaning stand at the time (I have since found it) and used a bucket to clean it.. it worked fine, honestly... the cleaning stand will allow me to use less water and acid next time though...

View attachment 169672

I hope this helps!

Chris
Thanks Chris, I emailed her. Have a link to that cord sleeve?

Cheers,

Fred
Wow, very informative, thanks Fred!!! Your Universial SWG sounds like a winner! 800 RPM and it still works thats amazing. I think I will pick one up soon and install with the vertical kit in cramped space as well.

Would it last longer to run less hours (than 2/3 of the pump time) but increase output to more than 8% on SWG?

What about your runtime in the summer?

I also have very high TA fill water, pool usually at 160 with liquid chlorine without acid( caused some white scaling at pool water line tiles), using Pugs right now to increase (CYA 35) but TA stubborn staying at 140. Will have to add more acids. I’m worried it might need lots of acid once I install the SWG, which defeats the boring pool maint purposes of it.

Wow, very informative, thanks Fred!!! Your Universial SWG sounds like a winner! 800 RPM and it still works thats amazing. I think I will pick one up soon and install with the vertical kit in cramped space as well.

Would it last longer to run less hours (than 2/3 of the pump time) but increase output to more than 8% on SWG?

What about your runtime in the summer?

I also have very high TA fill water, pool usually at 160 with liquid chlorine without acid( caused some white scaling at pool water line tiles), using Pugs right now to increase (CYA 35) but TA stubborn staying at 140. Will have to add more acids. I’m worried it might need lots of acid once I install the SWG, which defeats the boring pool maint purposes of it.

I think I was running 30% for 6 hours at the peak IIRC. I have it in one of the threads here.... EDIT: I think it was 30% for 9 hours actually.. still the thing produces WAAAY more Cl- than the pool seems to need. I unfortunately had a "bad period" when the days were shortening where I didn't test the water for two weeks, and when I did I had FC 30.5... so it was off completely until it got back down to six, or a little over a week. I suppose the pool needed a SLAM once anyway, right? Luckily it was when the water was in the low 80's and it was only getting use sporadically at that time. Then I adjusted it down some, some more, some more, some more and now it's at the end of year stable point, I guess.....

You probably will need a lot of acid once you install it.. but a tenth of the amount that you'd use of bleach so it's still a lot easier.

Overall, It's been fine. You really want your TA under 100 if you can do it. I have a very difficult time keeping it at 100..... when I get it below 100 my pH drops too low. I do have the floor system so aeration is difficult for me at this time. I am working on a solution for next year to aerate the pool more to raise the pH back up after an acid addition. At 160 TA you'd scale up pretty fast.

Last edited:
I think I was running 30% for 6 hours at the peak IIRC. I have it in one of the threads here.... EDIT: I think it was 30% for 9 hours actually.. still the thing produces WAAAY more Cl- than the pool seems to need. I unfortunately had a "bad period" when the days were shortening where I didn't test the water for two weeks, and when I did I had FC 30.5... so it was off completely until it got back down to six, or a little over a week. I suppose the pool needed a SLAM once anyway, right? Luckily it was when the water was in the low 80's and it was only getting use sporadically at that time. Then I adjusted it down some, some more, some more, some more and now it's at the end of year stable point, I guess.....

You probably will need a lot of acid once you install it.. but a tenth of the amount that you'd use of bleach so it's still a lot easier.

Overall, It's been fine. You really want your TA under 100 if you can do it. I have a very difficult time keeping it at 100..... when I get it below 100 my pH drops too low. I do have the floor system so aeration is difficult for me at this time. I am working on a solution for next year to aerate the pool more to raise the pH back up after an acid addition. At 160 TA you'd scale up pretty fast.
Rates,
Since you have the infloor system I recommend using a submersible pump on the first or second step and run the pump without a hose or even better with a somewhat reduced adapter on the output aiming it to the center of the pool. That will give good aeration. I use the clients pool cover pump at times to bring up the low PH like this.

LOL @ the unscheduled SLAM :laughblue:9 hours at 30% sounds like a lot, I'll definitely pay careful attention when I get mine. good to know about the amount of acid vs. chlorine. on TA, have you tried adding borates and did it help? seems to work well for Chris I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.