Did I ruin my motor

CarrieL

Aug 24, 2022
El Paso IL
I tried to change the seals in my pool pump because it was leaking. I didn’t know to prime it before I turned it on. My husband said it sparked and he turned it off. I took it apart again and put the old seals back on hoping I could return it to the just a leak. He primed it and it started up and ran fine for a minute or so then started smoking. Trying to determine if I need to replace the motor or if it could be something else.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: An initial question may be ... Are you sure it's smoke from something electric and not steam from overheating? The smell should be obvious but wanted to confirm since that could influence your replies.

It would also help if you posted a pic or two of the pump and motor. Try to show us the motor label as well.

The seal has nothing to do with the smoke. As you know the seals are on one end and the wiring for most are on the other end. A wire / wires in there got moved so it is touching something it should not. Only it did the smoke test it should be easy to see now. You would need to run the dry for a Long time to get smoke.

The seal has nothing to do with the smoke. As you know the seals are on one end and the wiring for most are on the other end. A wire / wires in there got moved so it is touching something it should not. Only it did the smoke test it should be easy to see now. You would need to run the dry for a Long time to get smoke.
I’m not sure how to figure out what might be moved.

Attachments

• 05103B40-1B08-4A3C-B92E-7D4C556DD00A.jpeg
    05103B40-1B08-4A3C-B92E-7D4C556DD00A.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 22
I’m not sure how to figure out what might be moved.
I loosened the capacitor a little to get the wrench in but the wires around if the way. Seemed the smoke was coming from what would be the right side of the pic.

Any suggestion for an easy fix to get my pool circulating while I figure this out? Would a cheap pump from Amazon be ok, I’ve messaged and called several pool places and I’m not getting any response.

Thank you for helping me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.