Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in Intex Sand Filter to clear up pool

nutshellml

Jun 26, 2019
New Jersey
Morning all, I have a 15' 48" high Intex pool with an Intex Sand Filter Pump 10". I usually take my pool down in the winter so I add a little corn starch so it doesn't get moldy. What has happened now is that I can't get it out of the pool, it currently just passes right through and I see cloudy water coming out of the jet.

I read many posts and pool school about adding DE to the filter in hopes of clearing this up at 1/4 cup increments but have a few questions:
1) My PSI gauge is normally on the border between the green/yellow, so by adding the DE it will increase slightly, correct?
2) If the pressure does get too high, to lower it, i would assume the Backwash and Rinse will remove or upset the DE?

Any other advice or recommendations...

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: For your questions:
1 - Yes
2 - Correct

Keep in mind this is assuming all water chemistry is properly "TFP" balanced and verified with a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared. That's extremely important so that you dont find yourself wasting time or money. Good luck!

So I'm having some trouble. I have a 15' intex pool with a 10" sand filter. At the end of the season I usually put corn starch in/on the pool to prevent mold. For some reason this year, I think i may have put too much. Now after opening the pool, it's very cloudy once people get in it. I'm not 100% sure it's the corn startch but I haven't added anything else.

Here's things I've tried
1) DE 1/4 cup and it didn't seem to work
2) when I vacuum regularly the white powder/cloud filters right through and comes back out into the pool
3) when passing the vacuum it almost seems to just spread the white power/cloud

Any other thoughts on this? I was hoping to avoid vacuuming to waste as i'll probably loose a significant amount of pool water.

Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the forum!
Pat asked about your pool water chemistry. Are you sure what you are seeing is not algae? I would think cornstarch would be trapped by the sand filter, especially with DE in it.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
Pat asked about your pool water chemistry. Are you sure what you are seeing is not algae? I would think cornstarch would be trapped by the sand filter, especially with DE in it.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Good point. Unsure how to really tell. The substance is white powder.

I did dump algaecide in the beginning of the season after a few days. But that was the preventative dose.

How can I tell if it’s algae or fine corn starch?

Thanks.

Merged threads
Setup: 15' round Intex w/a 10" Sand Filter in NJ. Opened the pool got the levels all set, added an algaecide and now every time we go in the pool or I vacuum a white cloudy substance appears (well gets stirred up) and can't be filtered, it passes right through. The powder is definitely white, it doesn't appear yellow at all. Could it be the corn starch I used at end of last year to avoid mold when storing (I take the pool down at end of season)?? But I didn't have this problem last year.

Levels, PH is about 7.2, CYA is 30-40, and my Chlorine didn't seem to substantially drop overnight.

I've tried:
  1. Cleaning my sand filter
  2. Vacuuming but the white substance comes right out
  3. Adding DE to filter (1/4 cup then started to vacuum and filter seemed to clog)
I am trying to avoid vaccuming to waste but i think that is the only option...

How can I be sure this is NOT algae, again it's white not yellowish...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying that is the only solution, but you are only talking 5k gallons. If you do empty, make sure to clean everything including the filters.

Reactions: nutshellml
Not saying that is the only solution, but you are only talking 5k gallons. If you do empty, make sure to clean everything including the filters.
I hear ya... probably easier then messing around for X amount of days or weeks trying to figure out what the heck it is and why it's passing right through my sand filter. I did take the filter apart cleaned the top and took about half the sand out and replenished.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.