Blairsville GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I use only Morton Pool Salt in our pool but it is not available anywhere within a 100 miles from Walmart (except for $36 for a 40 lb bag WHAT???) A few years ago, I tried the Clorox brand of salt that resulted in severe staining and a huge investment to get rid of the stains. Our local Home Depot carries the Diamond Salt Splash Ready and appears to have many positive reviews. Looking for input since I bought out the remaining 10 bags of Morton $8) but that probably will not last through the summer. Thoughts?

I like it- its my favorite salt 🧂
My local mom & pop hardware store carries it too.
The mortons has been dirty lately.

One thing I have learned from TFP about salt, and it seems to be across all the brands. Don't just dump the salt into the pool, open a bag and inspect, it should be white, if it has any color to it, don't dump it into the pool. I have read posts where people see that the salt is off color, slightly red or slightly brown and they dump it in anyway. Then they have to deal with problems from salt contamination.

Although I have not experienced this, I prefer to learn from other's misfortune.

I have always used Morton water softener salt (blue bag) from Sam's Club, and although I get some un-dissolvable materials (very little), I have never had staining.

Last edited:
I have been happy with this salt...It is pure salt no additives. Is is slightly more coarse so it takes a little more time to dissolve but it is just under three dollars cheaper than the same brand pool salt at Home Depot
1687996788786.png

I have been happy with this salt...It is pure salt no additives. Is is slightly more coarse so it takes a little more time to dissolve but it is just under three dollars cheaper than the same brand pool salt at Home Depot
View attachment 508760

That’s what I usually use and haven’t had problems with it.

Recently, I needed to replenish my salt supply (I like to have several bags on hand). The store only had 4 bags of the Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals softener salt, but had plenty of the Diamond Crystal Pool Ready product (oddly, at a lower price; it’s usually more expensive than the softener salt version), so I bought a couple bags of the Pool Ready version. The Pool Ready version was FAR dirtier than the softener salt version. Fortunately, it didn’t stain the pool, but did leave quite a nasty “bathtub ring”, especially on the steps, that I had to scrub off.

I’ll be sticking with the softener salt version from now on.

Reactions: Kaylee34
Genuine question, is it normal to go through that much salt? I was under the impression that salt level should stay relatively stagnant?
They get rain. The pool overflows. Does not happen (at least not very often) in S Calif.
My salinity rises over time. Due to muriatic acid and fill water. I only use salt when I drain the pool.

Reactions: Ahultin
They get rain. The pool overflows. Does not happen (at least not very often) in S Calif.
My salinity rises over time. Due to muriatic acid and fill water. I only use salt when I drain the pool.
Thank you, we are far enough from our unusually wet winter that I forgot some areas get real rain events in summer 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
I too used the Splash ready this year because it was $3 a bag cheaper than my preferred water softener salt.

It was as filthy as the others reported this year. No harm done and the vacuum got it all up with a couple passes.

Last year the PB gave me the super fancy pool store brand and it was equally as filthy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strange - mine was fine. Maybe old stock from last year 🤷‍♀️ I get it at our little hardware store.
The Mortons professional was filthy & filled with rocks.

What is going on with all this low quality salt? It seems the past several years or so quality has dropped. About the first 15 years of our pool’s life I could get reasonably priced salt that was extremely clean at couple local pool stores. Now, they all carry pretty much the same brand that is much dirtier. The quality of pool salt from the big box stores has also declined. At least so far the softener salt I’ve been buying the past several years has been reasonable quality (though not as good as the pool salt I use to buy).

☹️

Reactions: Mdragger88
The Mineral Springs I used to use was pristine. It's also $41 to $50 for 27lbs. :roll:

I can deal with some dirt @ $8 a bag.

I use to pay about $7 (40lbs) for the pristine stuff, and got every 10th bag free at our local shop where I bought salt for years.

The softener salt I use now has gone up to $10 (40lbs) in all the big box stores around here. Ace still has it for about $7.50, at least for now, though stock tends to be limited around here.

Reactions: Newdude
Interesting to read all the responses. I am surprised to read that folks use the water softener salt. I thought that was a “no no”. Haven’t used the Diamond Salt yet so can’t comment on the quality yet, but Morton’s is back in stock at my Walmart! As always, so appreciate all the support- TFP is the best. I basically accost shoppers looking at those ridiculously expensive chemicals and give them my TFP speech! Nothing like a zealot in the pool isle of Walmart!

read that folks use the water softener salt. I thought that was a “no no”
Only because of possible additives, which ironically, pool salt may now have also.

Either way you need to verify the bag says 100% and/or pure and you're good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.