Diamond Crystal 40LB Bag - $4.47. Is this the right salt?

PSJ

Apr 8, 2020
Dallas, TX
Purchasing and setting up a Circupool RJ45+ . Since I'll probably need a few hundred pounds, this seems to be the best price ($4.47). Is this the right salt I should be using?

That will be fine. Remember to test your salt level before you add any salt. Salt is added with chlorine and other chemicals we use, so it’s possible that if your pool has been running for a while it could already have a significant amount of salt and if you just assume it has 0 then you’ll probably add too much.

Read the reviews about dirt being in the salt...

0C95BCEB-6887-4793-9B3B-7C39673278F3.png

This is what I used and I didn’t have any problems with it. I did notice that there was a small amount of dirt on the bottom of the pool after the salt dissolved, but nothing that my pool cleaner couldn’t take care of quickly.

Given that they are both the same brand I was thinking that they were probably identical products sold for different prices for different uses, but then I noticed that the pool salt says that it is 99.8% soluble and the water softener salt that you linked to says that it’s 99.6% soluble. I’m not sure that extra .2% solubility makes that much of a difference or is worth $3 a bag though.

That is the brand I use. Oddly, it is in a yellow bag here. No issues. But I only add salt when I do a water exchange due to high calcium levels.

@Ajw -

Do you have a product you recommend? I saw this a few times across the TFP threads, so folks seem to have luck with it. That review is also 5+ years old

You pay your money and take your chances. It works fine for many and we occasionally see complaints of dirt or staining from using low quality salt in pools. You don’t care what is at the bottom of your water softener the way you do the bottom of your pool.

You can find Morton’s Pool Salt or Diamond Crystal Pool Salt in places for around $7/bag. Do not use Clorox Pool Salt.

Reactions: kplaster

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Availability factors into this as well.

My favorite salt is this. It’s consistently very clean and fine grained so it dissolves fast. I used it for years, but is no longer available here.

CBD50979-06A8-4324-8532-DC01CDCEAE2C.jpeg

That will be fine. Remember to test your salt level before you add any salt. Salt is added with chlorine and other chemicals we use, so it’s possible that if your pool has been running for a while it could already have a significant amount of salt and if you just assume it has 0 then you’ll probably add too much.
Good point. When I was considering SWCG, I tested my water with the Taylor K1766. In February I had 1200ppm. In July it is 1600ppm. And that's a normal liquid chlorine pool. According to Taylor tech support 80ppm increase in salt is normal with liquid chlorine. Never added salt. So yes, test before you add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.