DFW New Build 7/6/21-Swimming On 8/28

Hi. Looks great! I really like the dark blue color.

Just wanted to add our dogs have been swimming and I saw a suggestion here for the paint strainer nets at Home Depot (one gallon size--I just googled they are called elastic top strainers) and they have been great. I also tried the hair nets but they did not fit my basket as well as the HD brand ones. I put a rubber band around the top of the basket just as a precaution but have not had any issues. I change it frequently but I think they can be rinsed and reused to save on the costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indeeph2o
Hi. Looks great! I really like the dark blue color.

Just wanted to add our dogs have been swimming and I saw a suggestion here for the paint strainer nets at Home Depot (one gallon size--I just googled they are called elastic top strainers) and they have been great. I also tried the hair nets but they did not fit my basket as well as the HD brand ones. I put a rubber band around the top of the basket just as a precaution but have not had any issues. I change it frequently but I think they can be rinsed and reused to save on the costs.
Thank you. I bought the hair nets that were recommended but the pool guys said to wait at least a week before using them. So far, two of our three border collies have been on the tanning ledge but not for more than 2 minutes. Since there's still a lot of debris in the yard, we've limited all of the dogs time out back.

Question for the experts-we were swimming last night. We've stayed off of the plaster-not walking on it, etc. But the PB said in the grotto to really splash the water for additional circulation etc. So I sat on the bench and splashed the rocks, the area, but when I got out of the pool my hubby noticed I had a blue streak on the back of my legs-had to be from the plaster. Is that normal?

Merged threads - TFP mod
So if you followed our build we started July 6 and finished the end of August. For the past 6 weeks the plumber the pool builder recommended has told us he'll be out "tomorrow" to plumb the gas line. Well not sure of his definition of tomorrow, but...

A couple of questions: our pool builder tells us the state of TX has a law saying the pool builder can't be involved in the gas line being run. However the plumber that cam to give us an INSANE estimate yesterday thought I was crazy when I mentioned that- for reference original plumber quoted us $1400 for 80 ft run downhill from meter- the guy last night quoted us $6500.

Second, and this one is fun. Now that our pool is complete with water, we're past the initial 30 days, we've asked the PB when they plan to connect the salt cell and do the salt start up, and his response has us panicking. He said, I haven't done a salt pool in 7 years and need to do some research...SAY WHAT?!?!?

So, should I just start drinking large quantities of alcohol or is there a reasonable way to move forward? :rolleyes: :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
our pool builder tells us the state of TX has a law saying the pool builder can't be involved in the gas line being run.
Anytime someone tells you that there is a law, rule, code etc. ask them you provide you with the exact quote from the law, code or rulebook and a link to the actual reference.

If they can’t or won’t, they are probably making it up.

To work on gas, the company needs to have the correct license.

Most likely, the company is not licensed to do gas, but there is no law specifically excluding a pool builder from being able to be licensed to do gas work.

Any organization that performs any of the Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) activities described below in Texas is required to be a licensee of the Railroad Commission of Texas.

Category 30. General installers and repairmen. Authorizes the sale, repair, service, and installation of stationary containers and LNG systems.

Reactions: Newdude
Second, and this one is fun. Now that our pool is complete with water, we're past the initial 30 days, we've asked the PB when they plan to connect the salt cell and do the salt start up, and his response has us panicking. He said, I haven't done a salt pool in 7 years and need to do some research...SAY WHAT?!?!?

Your signature says "Pro Series JandyAutomatic Chlorinator – Fusion System Salt Computer". Make sure the PB does NOT install the mineral cartridge as part of the Fusion system. Find the cartridge and hide it. And don't let your installer take the blankout plate it comes with in the mineral slot as they are near impossible to find.

Have the PB install the cell and connect it to your Aqualink. And deliver to you the 40lb bags of salt.

It is better you add the salt slowly and insure you get the correct salinity. PB's often overshoot and get too high salt.

You need to give the salt 24-48 hours to dissolve and distribute in the water before the SWG should be turned on. A PB will try and dump too much salt into the water so they can immediately turn on the SWG , see it works, and leave.

Do you have the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test ?

Anytime someone tells you that there is a law, rule, code etc. ask them you provide you with the exact quote from the law, code or rulebook and a link to the actual reference.

If they can’t or won’t, they are probably making it up.

To work on gas, the company needs to have the correct license.

Most likely, the company is not licensed to do gas, but there is no law specifically excluding a pool builder from being able to be licensed to do gas work.

Any organization that performs any of the Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) activities described below in Texas is required to be a licensee of the Railroad Commission of Texas.

Category 30. General installers and repairmen. Authorizes the sale, repair, service, and installation of stationary containers and LNG systems.

Thank you-I tried researching this and could not find a law.

They probably do not have a gas license.

To get a Contractor's license, they need to have a qualified Master Plumber with a gas license.

There is no law that specifically excludes a pool builder from working with gas if they have the correct license.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your signature says "Pro Series JandyAutomatic Chlorinator – Fusion System Salt Computer". Make sure the PB does NOT install the mineral cartridge as part of the Fusion system. Find the cartridge and hide it. And don't let your installer take the blankout plate it comes with in the mineral slot as they are near impossible to find.

Have the PB install the cell and connect it to your Aqualink. And deliver to you the 40lb bags of salt.

It is better you add the salt slowly and insure you get the correct salinity. PB's often overshoot and get too high salt.

You need to give the salt 24-48 hours to dissolve and distribute in the water before the SWG should be turned on. A PB will try and dump too much salt into the water so they can immediately turn on the SWG , see it works, and leave.

Do you have the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test ?
I do have the Taylor salt Test-we went with the

TruClear® Salt Chlorinator​

So once he connects it-because its installed but not currently connected, then I can begin adding the salt and testing myself? Thanks for the help

They probably do not have a gas license.

To get a Contractor's license, they need to have a qualified Master Plumber with a gas license.

There is no law that specifically excludes a pool builder from working with gas if they have the correct license.
He keeps trying to tell us he can't even schedule a master plumber-that he can refer us to someone. I hate it when people "blow smoke"

I do have the Taylor salt Test-we went with the

TruClear® Salt Chlorinator​

So once he connects it-because its installed but not currently connected, then I can begin adding the salt and testing myself? Thanks for the help

Correct your signature then.

Nothing special to the SWG startup. Get the salinity up to around 3000 ppm.

Follow the steps on page 19-20 under How to Add Salt to the Pool in https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0613500.pdf?force=1

https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0613400.pdf?force=1 has suggestions for initial settings.

In Texas, specialty contractors such as plumbers, electricians, and HVAC workers will require a state license, while general contractors will get their license through their local jurisdiction.

In Texas, there is no such thing as a “Pool Builder’s License”.

Therefore, there cannot be any laws that specifically or exclusively apply to “Pool Contractors or pool builders”.

The required license is a General Contractor’s License.

General Contractor, which covers things like Commercial, Residential, Roofing, Fence, Foundation, Demolition, and/or Pool Contractor etc.

The only laws that apply specifically to pools are the building codes.

Certain Plumbing, Electrical or HVAC projects require a permit, which can only be granted to a contractor with the correct license for the project.

There are no laws that say that a General Contractor cannot get a specialty license if they want to include those services in their scope of work.

He keeps trying to tell us he can't even schedule a master plumber-that he can refer us to someone
That’s builder code for ‘I upset all the XYZ trades people so much previously that they won’t return my calls so you’re better off calling them yourself’.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.