Dewatering point - should I add a sump pump and keep it dry?

wgipe

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2020
Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi guys!

We built a pool several months back (build thread linked in my sig), and due to the area being fairly wet, the builder added a well point. It connects to the gravel backfill around the pool and also includes gravel and pipe in a trench under the deep end. We never hit water, but when it rained during the build, water did collect around the walls before backfill - maybe 6”. My question is this - I’ve checked the sump pit several times, and it has had a fair bit of water in it each time. The initial reason for installing it was to pump out when replacing the liner. That said, I can’t believe that water sitting around galvanized panels wouldn’t eventually cause them to prematurely fail.
I have it set up so I can easily drop a sump pump in there and leave it so that everything stays dry all the time, as it has a connection near the top of the pit to the tile that runs to the woods.

Should I install a pump to keep it dry, or am I overthinking this?

It will not hurt anything except your pocketbook by running the pump... it "may" help a little for the panels to add a year or 2 on the life of the panels.. so instead of them dying in 50 to 60 years they could last 51 to 61 years :)

• Haha
Reactions: wgipe and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.