West TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
REF: 30,000 gal SWG pool; Jandy JEP 1.5 hp Pump; Jandy CL460 filter with 4 cartridges

Is there a good rule of thumb for what rpm to run a variable pump? Mine is set where, with deep cleaned filters, the water jets have visible "semi-rough" bubbling on water surface. When filters load up and bubbling action decreases to almost smooth water surface, it's time for a filter clean.

Scientific, huh? FYI, it runs exact same speed setting 24 x 7 x 365. Maybe there's a better operational model with some daily (or seasonal) setback periods. Just curious what everyone else does in terms of programming.

You method is just fine.

Another method is to lower pump speed until the SWG just turns off. Add 100, then multiply by 1.1.

Say lowest speed the SWG runs is 1200, add 100 for 1300, the x1.1 = 1430. The 100 is to give the SWG flow some headroom, the 1.1 is for the dirty filter pressure (or in my case, the heater).

Both will run with a dirty filter up to the recommended "clean your filter pressure when clean pressure rises 25%"

The ultimate point is to not let a dirty filter stop the production of chlorine (or in my case, heating (heater shuts down first)).

Vol,

The main goal is to run as slow as possible and still get the job done.

All pools and pool owners are different, so there is no one number that works for everyone.

Since you have a salt cell, the slowest speed you ever want to run is the speed that keeps your cell's flow switch closed.

You generally want to run at a speed that skims the pool the way you want. For most people, any speed that turns on the cell will tend to keep the pool skimmed.

Other than that, it is up to you.

Thanks

Jim R.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.