Desperately need advice. (Day 9--We have a clear pool now!)

Re: Desperately need advice. Green pool won't clear up!

linen said:
Snowball,

Were you shocking when you were getting the high ph values. I believe the ph measurement is not accurate and reads high while shocking. I would worry about keeping at shock level for now. Hopefully you test kit comes soon. Pool colors are unpredictable when you are killing algae, though you may know you are getting close when you get a kind of milky but blue look to the water.
Ph was really high this morning when the chlorine level dropped significantly since last night. I remember reading somewhere that the measurement is not accurate when chlorine level is high. I added acid but I didn't want it to drop down too much. Right now I think the ph is still a little bit higher than the ideal level. I'll keep adding bleach and will post pictures when there's a visible difference. Thanks!

The PH test is good at FC levels up to about 10. For FC between 10 and 15 the PH test will read a little higher than actual but is still usable. For FC levels above 15 the PH reading error get progressively worse until somewhere around 20 when the PH test stops having any useful relationship with reality.

JasonLion said:
The PH test is good at FC levels up to about 10. For FC between 10 and 15 the PH test will read a little higher than actual but is still usable. For FC levels above 15 the PH reading error get progressively worse until somewhere around 20 when the PH test stops having any useful relationship with reality.
Thanks for the info! I think the ph is ok now.

lightingguy said:
Going from green to brown sounds like progress. With luck you'll steadily loose the color over the next 24-48 hours though the pool might stay cloudy for awhile after that.
Thanks! We're trying to be consistent and patient! I know we'll get there. My husband says it looks less like a swamp and more like a pond now LOL.

So our filter has been on 24x7 for almost 6 days and we tried to keep the chlorine at shock level this whole time and the water is getting a little bit clearer everyday. Here's today's picture. The pool is still green but we can see the 3rd step now. Looks like it's finally clearing up.

Attachments

• S8301606.jpg
    S8301606.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

As soon as you can pass the Overnight Loss test, your CCs are .5 or less and the water is clear, you can let the FC drop to your target level and maintenance should then be a breeze. Great job! :)

Snowball said:
I'm not done yet but how long do I have to wait before I can let the chlorine level drop after the water is crystal clear?
You are done when:
1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.

I would be interested in your test numbers. Did you do a OCLT last night?

linen said:
Snowball said:
I'm not done yet but how long do I have to wait before I can let the chlorine level drop after the water is crystal clear?
You are done when:
1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.

I would be interested in your test numbers. Did you do a OCLT last night?
No I didn't do the test yet. I was gonna wait till the water is clear. Will post the result when I do. Thanks so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.