Desperately need advice. (Day 9--We have a clear pool now!)

Re: Desperately need advice. Green pool won't clear up!

I know it can seem counter intuitive, but spending money on a good kit will save you money in the long term (in pool chemicals, headache medicine and divorce proceedings). These smart folks will be able to sort you out in short order.

You should use Borax and raise your pH to the low 7's ASAP.
The low pH can damage your equipment.

Yes, take the dispenser out of the pool and STOP using the pucks/tablets!
Along with adding CYA, they can cause your pH/TA to crash.

Take a water sample to a pool store and post the results here.
Don't buy anything from the pool store, except liquid chlorine if they have a good deal.

Until you get test results, add two large jugs of bleach each morning and evening.

If you order the TF100 by 2pm, it ships the same day. They have fast service. http://www.tftestkits.net

Stock up on plain non-scented 6% bleach or liquid chlorine.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Thanks everyone!
Waiting to get the kit. Right now only have test strips. Already took the dispenser out a couple of days ago. Tested last night and the TC is almost 0, FC 0, TA 40, PH 6.5, CYA less than 50. Used the pool calculator and shock level is FC 15. So I put in a box of borax and a box of baking soda. 40 minutes later poured 3 jugs 182oz 6% bleach in. Let the pump run all night. This morning the water turned a little brown and the test results are about the same as last night. TA is a little bit higher. PH still around 6.8. Poured in some ph up and a little baking soda and another 2 jugs of bleach. Will brush the pool this afternoon and add more bleach tonight.
I read a lot of posts and saw a lot of before&after pics and I'm all positive about this BBB method. Gonna be consistent this time until I get a clear pool!

Just brushed the walls and there doesn't seem to be a lot of gross stuff and I can't really get anything from the bottom anymore. Water is still green and very cloudy. But I can see the second stair now.
The water used to look almost completely black with probably 1-2ft of leaves at the bottom.

Attachments

• S8301112.jpg
    S8301112.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 85

Butterfly said:
Did you get your pH and TA corrected?
Used a box of Borax and a box of Baking soda yesterday and this morning only TA raised a little bit. Then I added more ph up and a little baking soda but the test result is about the same. Our walmart ran out of Borax and we'll get more washing soda and dump it in there tonight.
Any idea why the ph won't go up? CYA is not high at all...

lightingguy said:
Either the PH is lower than you can test or there is some sort of testing error.

How are you testing the PH now?
Hubby went to get more washing soda and baking soda. tested at 4pm today and ph was still very low.
Can I mix the baking soda and washing soda or borax together in a bucket of water and pour it at the return?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So you are testing PH with the Red Drops? That's going to be the most accurate way.

The borax/baking soda/washing soda side of the world is pretty non-reactive so you dont need to be too concerned. Equal parts Borax and Baking Soda or Borax and washing soda are routinely used as a "green" laundry soap alternative. Cheaper too.

That being said never mix chems in a bucket unless you are completely sure. Many of the chlorines and acids are quite reactive with many things.

lightingguy said:
So you are testing PH with the Red Drops? That's going to be the most accurate way.

The borax/baking soda/washing soda side of the world is pretty non-reactive so you dont need to be too concerned. Equal parts Borax and Baking Soda or Borax and washing soda are routinely used as a "green" laundry soap alternative. Cheaper too.

That being said never mix chems in a bucket unless you are completely sure. Many of the chlorines and acids are quite reactive with many things.
Yes I'm testing ph with the drops. It's been low all along. Have added a total of 8lbs of ph up in the past 10 days or so and the borax and baking soda yesterday. Still reads the lowest...
I saw it somewhere in the forum that it's better to pre-dissolve the baking soda and borax before adding them in the pool so yesterday I put them together in a bucket and dumped the mixture in the water. Never mixed other chemicals. Guess I'll just put the powder in today. Is that gonna slow down the process?
And I can start shocking half an hour after I put the soda in right? Read so many posts and don't remember where I saw them...

I think the mixing in a bucket is more about it being much easier to stir a bucket than stir the pool :)

Your PH is a mystery as you seem to have added a lot of chems to correct it. I'd get it to 7 today in order to commence shocking (Add, circulate a couple hours, add some more, etc.) The longer you pause with the chlorine the more your algae is bouncing back.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep at it and it'll clear.

lightingguy said:
I think the mixing in a bucket is more about it being much easier to stir a bucket than stir the pool :)

Your PH is a mystery as you seem to have added a lot of chems to correct it. I'd get it to 7 today in order to commence shocking (Add, circulate a couple hours, add some more, etc.) The longer you pause with the chlorine the more your algae is bouncing back.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep at it and it'll clear.
Guess we added too much soda last night, the ph got too high :shock: Had to add dry acid to correct it.....
Other than that, chlorine seems to be holding well. Added 2 jugs of bleach in the morning and at 4pm it hasn't gone down much. It's a sunny day and 93 degrees outside. I brushed the whole pool and when I stirred up the water brushing the bottom I didn't see as much debris. Water hasn't got visibly better but it's not that green anymore. Ran out of bleach. Gonna get more tonight.

Snowball said:
Guess we added too much soda last night, the ph got too high Had to add dry acid to correct it.....
The good news is now that you are within the range you can use Pool Calculator to calculate how much you need in the future. I had a feeling something strange was going on.

Sounds like you are on your way - congrats. You can expect the pool to get pretty cloudy with dead algae etc which may take awhile to clear but it will get there.

lightingguy said:
Snowball said:
Guess we added too much soda last night, the ph got too high Had to add dry acid to correct it.....
The good news is now that you are within the range you can use Pool Calculator to calculate how much you need in the future. I had a feeling something strange was going on.

Sounds like you are on your way - congrats. You can expect the pool to get pretty cloudy with dead algae etc which may take awhile to clear but it will get there.
Added dry acid 3 times today and finally got the ph down to about 7.8
smiley-bangheadonwall.gif
Chlorine level didn't drop super fast so I guess we're making progress. Added 3 jugs of bleach tonight. Today the water turned a little bit brown and less green. Is this good or bad? And thanks for your help!

Snowball,

Were you shocking when you were getting the high ph values. I believe the ph measurement is not accurate and reads high while shocking. I would worry about keeping at shock level for now. Hopefully you test kit comes soon. Pool colors are unpredictable when you are killing algae, though you may know you are getting close when you get a kind of milky but blue look to the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.