Desperate -- pool party tomorrow. Cancel party? Floc? Yes, I HAVE BEEN SHOCKING!

Re: continuation of Desperate - pool party thread

I would, assuming you can see the bottom in the deep end, but get that floater out of there since your CYA is already at 40ppm.

Hard to say from that photo, but if you can see the floor at the deep end I would say swim, just add some peroxide to lower the FC a bit first, don't over do it since a lot of FC will be used up during the party. Also keep the filtering with DE going.

I would swim if you can see the bottom.

It is safe to swim when
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
chlorine is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA
Water is clear

Shock level for 40 CYA is 16 so you are right at shock level. If there is a puck in that floater get it out and hope the chlorine drops a couple of ppm overnight.

I took out the floater. Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I could see the bottom, so the party happened! And there was much rejoicing. :D

FC 12.0, CYA 38 after the party. Pool even more blue, thanks to the kicking/jumping/splashing, which sent pollen into the floor drain and skimmer.

Thanks so much to everyone for their help. I will never battle pollen without DE again. What a learning experience!

Lastly: the before/after pictures (24 hours apart, with and without DE) are pretty striking. Maybe I should post them?

I was actually thinking the same thing. What if ...? So, I'm going to bring it back up to shock level for the night. Plus, it's supposed to rain again, which means another dump of pollen into the pool! And, the sunscreen/dirt/etc in the pool from kids, eating up chlorine. I'll also be continuing the DE in the filter.

Better safe than sorry, I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's what I did:

1) With FC around shock level, I added DE to my sand filter via my skimmer until it went up 1 psi. The DE did a great job of catching the pollen, and after 3-4 hours, my psi went up by 4, so I backwashed (removing the DE - backwash was yellow) and then re-added the same amount (for me, 2/3 cup of DE). This happened again after another 3-4 hours -- high psi -- so I backwashed and re-added DE again.

2) Overnight, it had cleared significantly. There was only a little pollen in the wrinkles/seams on the bottom -- but my psi had gone up by 6. So, I quickly backwashed and added DE again. Then, I vacuumed v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. Twice while vacuuming, my pump slowed and chugged, so I backwashed and re-added DE again. After fully vacuuming, I backwashed and added DE one last time.

I addition to using DE in your filter, using skimmer socks really helps remove pollen from the pool, and it's a lost easier to rinse out a sock, than to backwas the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.