DEPTH: Sports pool OR Traditional Shallow 2 Deep?

JacuzziFan

May 11, 2019
Toronto
We are doing sports pool, 3'8" / 5' 2" / 3'8", just being dug today and tommorow. But ours wil have full shallow ends at consistent depth extending 7' towards the middle of the pool. then in midsection a sudden slope drop (aprox 45 degree) to 1.5 ft additional depth to a 5 ft wide 5'2" max depth section. Its like a trench or a hopper in the middle of pool. Im having second thoughts if that will hamper our activities like V ball or basket ball, especially for shorter players to have that pit in the middle. Im worried about people or kids under 5"3' having to stand too far behind the net before the 'cliff' to play.

I'm also worried that having the majority of the pool at a consistant 3'8" will be too limiting. Other than socializing and occasional pool sports games, all i care about is lap swimming and dunking my head underwater from time to time.

The larger concern with party pools or sport pools is water temp in hotter climates. Probably not an issue for you being in Toronto. A 4' 5' 4' allows for swimming as well as pool games like basketball and volleyball. We have a 4' 5' 4' and my wife is 5'4 so when she gets to the middle water is about up to her nose. However, when playing volleyball you will generally be a few feet away from the net. That severe slope on your pool will be very noticeable especially if you play basketball. We play basketball more then V-ball because you can play alone or with another person and you are all over the pool. Typically V-ball needs 4 on 4 to have a good game. I definitely would not want a 45-degree slope in the middle of my "court".

I am sharing your sentiments. They have already excavated the pool and leveled the earth to our original plan. Concrete scheduled tommorow or day after. I am hoping i still have chance to have it changed to a traditional sports pool with dead center at max depth and from there consistant smooth slight slope to the ends, like a "V" shape. I hope they can still take some shovels and grade it before they pour concrete, but i fear it might be too much work and prohibitive.

I am sharing your sentiments. They have already excavated the pool and leveled the earth to our original plan. Concrete scheduled tommorow or day after. I am hoping i still have chance to have it changed to a traditional sports pool with dead center at max depth and from there consistant smooth slight slope to the ends, like a "V" shape. I hope they can still take some shovels and grade it before they pour concrete, but i fear it might be too much work and prohibitive.
Just came across this post.....were they able to change it?

Reactions: Chastiti
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.