Delay pool opening?

Hi,
I am actually in Indianapolis, although we do have farm supply stores. ? I usually purchase our supplies from Meijer’s, Menards or Rural King. I think I also have some of the chlorine tablets left from a while back before we stopped using them. We have talked about switching to SWG in the past, are they fairly easy to install as DIY?

Thanks for all the input!
I just bought a stock of Menards pool shock in case ppl figure out it’s just stronger bleach and I can’t find it anymore! Plenty in stock yet in my town!

I'm guessing it was the Menard's at 6733 Prairie Vista Dr NW, Rochester, MN based on the OPs location. Menard's has normal price of $3.99/gallon. Right now they're running one of their 11% mail in rebate programs which reduces the price to $3.55/gallon.

Reactions: Abw02 and Leebo
There is liquid chlorine at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards, and pool stores and are usually between 10% and 12.5%. Luckily, non-pool people/hoarders are unaware that it is literally the same thing as bleach, just a stronger percentage than what you’ll usually find at the stores ??. Hopefully they won’t catch on!! Yes it’s more expensive but it is at least available. I ordered some from Ace Hardware and it should be delivered to my local store for pickup in about 6 days. I bought 12 gallons but kind of wish I bought more lol. Depending on your CYA, trichlor pucks can help get you by until BleachGate 2020 slows down. Good luck!!

Oh, and definitely don’t wait to open the pool!! Especially with these unseasonably warm temperatures! Plus who knows...the shortage of bleach could get worse (God I hope not!!!! ????). Better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it was the Menard's at 6733 Prairie Vista Dr NW, Rochester, MN based on the OPs location. Menard's has normal price of $3.99/gallon. Right now they're running one of their 11% mail in rebate programs which reduces the price to $3.55/gallon.
Yep, mine was also $3.99 from Ace Hardware. I’ve never been to our local Menards so I’ll have to check that out, too! Is it 12.5% also?

Yes, 12.5%.

As an aside, I know I'm low on acid and was web shopping for price and stock levels at various stores near me. Menard's has the full strength acid for $4.99/gallon.
Good to know!! Thank you! Since getting my alkalinity to appropriate range, I’ve just been using pH Down every here n there. Muriatic acid scares me lol! Still good to know, though with all this rain coming and potentially having to drain some water. Plus my fill water seems to have high alkalinity (it took me over a month last summer after initially filling up my pool to get it down to 80!)

Reactions: gonfishin
algae start growing when the pool water temp reaches 59F. Below that temp, you dont need Chlorine. If you have a cover on, take it off to let the cooler night air temp reduce the water temp. I would open it, get it running, do a good backwash and clean it properly because there'll probably be less algae food in your pool. Backwash it twice a week to keep it super clean, especially if you can't get chlorine.

We just installed a SWCG last year, and I feel a lot of relief not having to source chlorine -- even without a shortage. I'm really grateful to not have to deal with (more) empty shelves.

If you can get salt, you might consider a small project to start the year off right (and by "right," I mean low maintenance :)).

To the OP, I would open my pool before the weather gets warmer. I usually open my pool in mid-late April. If I don't find bleach to put in my pool, I'll go to the pool store and get some Liquid Chlorine. If that doesn't work, I'll use pucks in my chlorinator. I know by using pucks it will add CYA to my pool, so I intend to leave my CYA at 30 once I open my pool up.

The downside of not opening your pool up early is that you may start out with algae in your pool and that will require a lot more bleach or whatnot to get it clear again. So I would lean towards opening your pool at the right earlier than later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am having a little anxiety about this too. I'm going to Walmart in the next day or two and buy as much as they will let me. And I contacted local pool supply places and they have the 5 gal 12% liquid chlorine in stock. I can only buy two at a time, but they seem confident they can keep it in stock all season. It will be more $$$$ this season to keep the pool open, and I'll buy at Walmart/Giant when I can find it, but I have accepted reliance on the 5 gal containers for this summer.

If something happens and I can't find it anymore, I'll close the pool. I also have a supply of tri-chlor that I will use as much as I can. My CYA seems to disappear over the winter so I should be able to use those for awhile.

At least I won't be constantly recycling empty bleach bottles. Looking at the upside, lol....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.