Definitive Answer on Winter Cover Pillows?

Jun 12, 2012
We are in Northern Ontario Canada and trying to close our 21' AGP. We bought a black winter cover (solid, no mesh), with a ratcheting wire mechanism to hold it tight around the wall uprights. Pool is clean and has been at shock level for the last 24-36 hours.

Still unsure if we need a pillow/float in the center, under the cover. We plan to drain the water to 6" under the skimmer, disconnect all lines and pump. I can't find the definitive answer!

Thanks!!

In your location your pool is likely to freeze so my advice may not be as accurate as someone closer.

I've closed both using and not using pillows. While the pillow made the water (and leaves) pool nearer the edge, in the long run it really doesn't make much difference in upkeep whether you have one or not. However, I will say that I use a hose to siphon off the water and a leaf blower to clear off the leaves. If you don't have leaves to content with I would suggest not using a pillow. I lay the hose end on the cover and it creates a small valley that allows all the water to drain toward the hose and get siphoned off.

When I was a kid, we had a tube from a tractor, you get the biggest one you can find, fill with air, poke it to about the middle of the pool when your cover is mostly on.... Since it floats, it holds the cover above the top of the pool, until the pool freezes. When you take the cover off, you fish it out, pull the stem let it deflate, and pack away with the cover. Alternatively, just leave it as a pool toy, they are pretty durable and easy to patch....

I'm not sure how much the pillows helps during the winter. In the spring it was easier to drain the water off with the pillows. I will say that each winter, one of the two pillows used popped mid-winter. The inner tube is more durable.

You will want to drain the water at least a few inches down past the return. Keep an eye on the water level to be sure it doesn't rise up to the skimmer level. Whatever the water level is on top of the cover is the same as the water level under the cover.

I’m in the same boat as you except I’m in central Ohio so temperatures aren’t quite as cold as yours (not that that is relevant to this post lol) but I have read reviews on MANY of those pillows and all of them are negative. If anyone uses them, please post a link to good ones that actually work lol. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of any help it know you’re not alone! ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.