Deep Cleaning a Triton-II TR100 Sand Filter

JABRY5

Apr 25, 2020
Coppell, TX
Hi, relatively new pool owner in Texas. Already been disappointed several times in pool store and servicing, and have discovered and learned so much from this site about the right way to maintain a pool.

I have been SLAMing the pool for 2 days now. Chlorine levels are around 20 ppm with CYA at 30, and I lost 2 ppm overnight last night. While the color of the pool has turned from bright green to a dullish green over this timeframe, I believe my Triton-II TR100 sand filter is sending cloudy water back into the pool. I also noticed when the pump was turned off for 4 days this February that the water was much clearer than it had been in months. I suspect my filter needs a deep clean.

I am trying the deep clean recommended on this site, but there are 450 pounds of sand in it, and I am having trouble sending the hose deeper than the first 12 inches of sand. Am I cleaning the filter effectively if the hose only penetrates the "top vertical half" of sand?

Welcome to the forum!
Have you used floc or clarifier in the past? Those products are what typically bind the sand and create issues.
If you are getting that far into the sand and it is running clean, I suspect you are good.
Let's see what some other members have to say.
Do remember that sand filters are the slowest to clear a pool during a SLAM. Two days is not long enough to be concerned. Two to three weeks is not unusual for a sand filter system.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Why can't you go deeper into the filter? Are you using only a garden hose and it flexes? get a 3' section of 1/2" pvc and an adapter and attach it to your hose. Probe gently and slowly and you should be able to get ALL the sand cleaned.

Careful of the laterals. If you are careful, you can actually feel the laterals without damaging them. Slow and a light touch is the key.

Reactions: RDspaguy
I think you'll get it VERY operational just with a deep clean. After you've finished (be thorough) and if you still think it's clumpy,etc., You perhaps could try a cleaning agent that pool stores sell for filters I have NEVER used it but it might be of some help after you have cleaned it the best you can with the water hose.

So the hose adapter + PVC pipe works like magic. I'm able to access all areas of the filter (being careful of the laterals of course). Thanks again for that idea.

After 4 hours of deep cleaning yesterday, the water was just noticeably better than when I started - and still running dirty. I would believe it if I had another 15 hours to go using just the power of the hose to clean 450 pounds of sand. I am wondering if leveraging the power of a backwash can speed this up. I am thinking of using the hose to probe the sand for 10 minutes, backwash, probe, backwash. Obviously would have to take the cover on and off a few times but am willing to try.

If anyone has any clever ideas to speed this up...

(Note last year was a *very* bad year for algae in my pool. That was before I discovered TFP, and is why I think my filter is so dirty to start this year.)

If you don't mind taking the "cover" on and off, I think that's probably a good idea. Your probe has loosened the sand and now will probably allow your backwash to expel much more dirt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.