asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So the previous owner of our home neglected to install any type of drain when he had the pool decking installed. Absolutely inexplicable; I know. It doesn't rain often in AZ but our monsoon storms can be nasty. I'm looking at the various deco and channel drains on the market and two concerns consistently surface:

1. These pvc drains can crack due to age or regular foot traffic.
2. Most are one piece, which requires a full replacement when damaged. There is no option to repair sections.
3. These drains don't seem to offer a simply method for cleaning accumulated dirt/sand. This is baffling. There should be an opening on one end to feed a hose through.

My question:

Is there a channel drain on the market that addresses these concerns? I'm envisioning a two piece version with a removable top for easy replacement. And one with an opening for cleaning.

Thanks!

Hey Sun Devil! I'm going to step into your question briefly just to keep this moving and stir-up some replies. Now in my primitive mind, I'm thinking of those DIY drainage PVC prodcts you may see at the big box store that have options to install access boxes anywhere you need them. Are those products not reasonable to use around your decking, either because of size, quality, or aestetics? Also, what type of decking do you currently have installed? That may help others with replies. A pic may also help members reviewing your thread.

Reactions: asusundevil
I used the Mini Channel Drain by NDS. It is about 3" wide and has removeable grates. The grates come in various colors and styles. They are similar to the ones your find at local retailers but are narrower and have more aesthetic options for the grates.
This is precisely what I was seeking! Love this product. I know so many folks who have the mini, one piece drain that over years needs to be replaced, a project that's not easy. And its inaccessible from the top which prevents the owner from cleaning the inside. Being able to remove the top grate of that 3" NDS drain solves this issue, among others.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.