Decking Paint Used On Step Tile

Sollace

Gold Supporter
Aug 16, 2020
Bryan TX
Our pool is under construction -- Just waiting on plaster, so we're almost done. *crosses fingers*

So I was planting around the pool and noticed the step out of the water is now painted to match our decking. Before it was white non-skid tile. Now it is off white. The step is both in and out of the water. So my question: Should I get the crews to remove the paint on the tile step or should we leave it?

I don't know how this decking paint will hold up in a salt water pool. Hubby agrees with me, it's just painted and not the cool deck stuff texture. Obviously he never noticed and I just noticed because I'm never out in that area of the build. IE: Mud.

Anyone have their concrete decking painted? Experience how this works with salt water?
The pool build guys have been out the last two days fixing the texturing / rough spots / drips on the column tiles. Now this. *sigh*
Any input would be helpful.

What material is your decking under the paint?

They painted a white tile step when the deck was painted?

I would not think that paint adheres long term to tile.

I was going to my pool build thread to snatch a picture of that step with tile. Give me a few minutes. I'll also check if hubby has the can of spare paint they left. (They came today to reapply the paint and he left the can for them to use today).

Okay. The paint is called Color Seal H20 -- Chlorine & salt resistant. Environmentally friendly.
The decking we have is concrete. Concrete coping, too.

Found the tile step pictures. The white 1" tiles are non-skid. I'll take more pictures tomorrow of what it looks like with the decking and painted stair.

Attachments

• TileSteps2.jpg
    TileSteps2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 46
  • TileSteps4.jpg
    TileSteps4.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
They painted a white tile step when the deck was painted?

Yes -- When they applied the texture stuff to the concrete decking, they then painted over everything. They'd been here twice so I have no idea if they painted that first step yesterday or during the first visit. I'm never in that part of the yard. It's fenced off so the dogs won't get over there.

• Wow
Reactions: johnywess
They would need to fix that. Why would you want painted tiles in your pool 🤨? Please post a picture because I’d really like to see that.

Reactions: Sollace
Uh, IMO, that's going to be a disaster. "Chlorine & salt resistant" does not mean waterproof! Geez Louise. The very best "paint" you can use in an underwater marine environment (like on a boat hull) has to be redone every few years!

They need to strip that off and hope that it comes off well enough to leave your tile and grout unscathed. Otherwise they'll need to redo the tile. Don't wait for the finish to go in and certainly not after the fill. It'll be a very messy job that has to be done first.

The good news is that you caught it in time.

Speaking of fill, have you stumbled across the "water meter trick" in regards to filling your pool? If not, I'll share it with you.

Reactions: kimkats and Nikilyn
Thanks Dirk -- Yes, we'll call our pool build manager about the tile.
Yes I read somewhere on this forum about the pool meter trick. If you have time, maybe you can summarize again? I remember something about taking a picture of the water meter both before and after the fill to figure out how many gallons you have. (That's off the top of my head) You wouldn't believe how many different TFP threads I've saved to consult.

Did you get a bunch of aggies to build your pool or something?

All kidding aside, make sure they remove the paint especially in the grout lines since I would imagine that would be the hardest part to remove especially if the paint is designed to go over concrete. Did they also paint the little row of waterline tile above the tiled step?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As JJ and I mentioned, you want the grout to be cleared of the paint, too. If it comes off the tile well enough, but not the grout, it's possible they can redo the grout without having to redo the tile, but I'm not exactly sure about that, or how it's done.

Regarding the meter trick. You got it. You gotta let the crew and PB know about your plan, because they'll sometimes start the fill immediately after they're done, and without you knowing about it. And they'll probably be using your water right up until then, so you can't take your snap shot of the meter until right before they turn the hose on the pool. You might locate and clean the meter now, so you're not scrambling around at the last moment. Just make sure you can find those numbers when you need to.

Then just try to minimize the water you use. Turn off the garden irrigation system. Limit showers and flushes. Put the laundry off until afterwards. Etc. A few gallons here and there are not going to make a big difference, but do what you can. If you take good care of your pool and water balance (with TFP methods!) you might never have an empty pool again, so this could be a one-time opportunity.

You'll probably be responsible for monitoring the fill and turning off the hose when the pool is full. That's halfway up the skimmer opening. And of course it'll be the middle of the night! So mark halfway up with a piece of duct tape. When there's water in the skimmer it'll be hard to see where halfway is, because of the reflection and refraction of the water. The tape will make that easier.

Don't stop the fill for any reason. Pausing the rising water line can leave a nasty ring stain at that level. Keep the hose end underwater immediately and throughout. Don't splash the new plaster. Don't let any water run down the sides while filling. You might zip-tie a sock to the end of the hose, to keep its metal end off your beautiful new finish.

You'll end up with a pretty accurate water volume number, which you'll use for calculating chemical dosing. Quite handy, and usually much more accurate than any estimate you've gotten from the builder or his designer.

Once more thanks for all the replies!
Dirk, I just read your post about the water fill to hubby. Thanks once more.

So we looked at the pool in the morning light, not last night as dusk was rolling around. Pictures are included. I compared today's pictures to those taken after they installed the tile. There's definitely something on the tile but now I'm not sure. *sigh* We called our pool build manager and he's in Belville today so will be by later. . . But he said it could be marble dust from the texturing. A mild muric acid wash from the plaster guys should clear that up. If that's what it is. Anyway, pictures.

NOTE: Last two pictures are before the concrete coping/decking is done. (For grout/color comparison)

Attachments

• 1-28-21TileStep.jpg
    1-28-21TileStep.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 1-28-21TileStep1.jpg
    1-28-21TileStep1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1-28-21TileStep2.jpg
    1-28-21TileStep2.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 1-28-21TileStep3.jpg
    1-28-21TileStep3.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 31
  • TileSteps5.jpg
    TileSteps5.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 31
  • TileSteps6.jpg
    TileSteps6.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 30
Definitely something on there, but not sure if it is paint. I would start by taking a strong spray from the garden hose to see if you can blast it off of there.

Not paint on the tile. If it was paint the tile and grout line would be the same color which it is not.

Last edited:
OK, things are looking better. Hopefully just a quick cleanup task and you'll be back on track! Though I would recommend letting the PB handle this. Keep him on the hook for the fix. If you DIY you could give him an excuse to put this back on you.

Looks like they didn’t cover it all the way when they were spraying/sanding the deck :cautious: But that is much better than them painting it!

Sorry for the delay.
The pool build manager visited at 2PM and said the stuff on the steps is marble dust from the texturing. He said the acid wash will clean it off. Of course I was worried about this thinking the worst. !!!

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.