Deck Drain Placement (Urgent issue! Need feedback please!)

RS220

Gold Supporter
May 24, 2019
Fresno, CA
So, due to some miscommunication between the guy who worked with us to quote the pool and communicate the project back to the people actually doing the building....they apparently had no idea we were also having a patio cover installed. In the picture below, the yellow highlighted portion (where the wood is) is where they are putting the deck drain. It is ~8 feet from the house, I know the angle isn't great, it's the best I have at the moment. Our patio cover extends 14' from the house. I am 100% not okay with half of my patio flooding with runoff every time it rains.

deckdrain.JPG

He says to maintain proper drainage that if they move it closer to the pool it will be a noticeable slope that will make the deck hard to use. I don't want that either. I had to leave the house and get back to work, and he said he's going to try to come up with a solution, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any bright ideas.

The slope from the pool to the drain would not need to change to maintain the same drainage. They would just need to raise the drain up a few inches further from the house. But the other impact is how that would then interface with whatever patio is going to be part of the covered area. So the main concern may be that the slope from the house to the drain must be maintained, which would require the slab to start higher at the house and that may not be possible.

Clearly there was a large disconnect as to maintain proper drainage from both the house and the pool, the location of the drain would need to be set which would then in turn set the depth to which the pool would need to be built.

He's going to try to push it out a foot or two, which is still annoying, but better than it is now. He says there are no other options. I certainly can't think of any. Better to be annoyed the relatively few times a year we actually get rain than be annoyed every time I use the pool. Still annoyed either way.

Our lot is very uneven, we knew that. The hubby had to set up a makeshift berm a few years ago to protect the house from standing water because of the slope. We didn't realize just how poorly graded it was all the way out, and I don't think the PB did either, until it was too late.

I guess if everyone had realized this from the get-go, maybe we could have done something different, but I don't even know what that would have been. Seems like whatever move you make here it would impact something else.

Set the drain 3' from the coping and 1/2" lower. Take that drain height and slope it to just below the weep screed on the house.

I'm not sure of the style of patio that you're building but putting gutters on it is never a bad idea. Since you have access to the drains, run the downspouts into your drain system so there's no runoff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.