Decisions...deciaions "baller on a budget" in North Texas

nateb

Apr 7, 2015
Allen
* Vsp or stealth 2hp
* 80% quartz or 100% quartz plaster
* move equipment pad back 16ft or leave as is
* get outdoor kitchen done by builder or get them to stub in gas outlet and get built upon pool completion by odk vendor
* extra foot deeper or extra foot longer
bf1e44a16096a0ad84ff5ecb44b6c263.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nate,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool builders... :super:

I think that building a new pool without a variable speed pump should be illegal... :cool:

You can dial in the speed you want for every situation. They are cost efficient and very quiet...

I can't tell where your equipment pad is located???

Now is the time to consider how you plan on chlorinating your pool. It is almost the most important decision you will need to make.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Pad is in upper left corner? Can't really tell. But if it were, you could not move it back 16 feet. If so, it may be the ideal spot. I would get a VSP if you plan on any sort of automation, it will pay for itself vs the alternatives. We had our outdoor kitchen subcontracted by pool builder, it was quality and well integrated. Depends on your PB/subs, tho. Ask for examples of prior work.

Hi Nateb, I am relatively new here, but I concur with Jim, you will definitely benefit from a VS pump. The only way to go.

Regarding 80% vs 100% quartz, I didn't know you could get quartz in varying gradations. What is the price difference?

I can't tell where your equipment pad is, but you would want it out of sight if possible, but also think how that will affect your plumbing runs. Especially head loss to your Spa jets.

Regarding the ODK, as MarkTX, check out your PBs ODK work and if that resonates with you, then go with him/her. Also, it may cost more to have a ODK builder come in and do it after the fact. I would assume your PB could do it at a reduced cost while he's building everything else. But that would be moot, if you aren't impressed by his ODK builds.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I recommend finding someone to do your kitchen that is willing to work with your PB. Any plumbing and conduit needs to be considered before the pool deck is installed. Unless you pick a PB that does lots of kitchens.

I see the gas line is not in your bid. I'd get that cost nailed down before agreeing to anything. Our gas run wasn't cheap!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The price difference from Riversand Standard Color (current pebbletec selection) is:
-**********80% Quartz (-$673)

-**********100% Quartz Standard Color (-$372)

- vsp change (+$546.57)

Also, I would make sure to get the electrical runs nailed down too. My pool builder didn't include the electrical runs from the pool lights to the equipment pad in the calculation and I ended up having to come up with $1100 the day before electrical was going to be installed otherwise they weren't coming back. My pool builder included 150' which was the distance from my panel in my house to the pool equipment pad, but adding in the electrical runs for 3 lights, even though the lights came with wire, wasn't included.

I thought the PDA would have been awesome... turns out, not only is it slow, has cumbersome programming ability but you can't adjust contrast so it is difficult to read. Oh and the blue backlight is worthless. Have your pool builder install the iAquaLink that you can control with your tablet/phone... so worth it, or you will be doing it later for at least $500.

Did i I mention I have a PDA, antenna and control board for sale. :) :)

They're digging!!! And the PM advised that the vsp is "tree-huggin hok'em." Electricity is cheap in Texas and most vsp owners tend to turn them up anyways....I'm waffling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought the PDA would have been awesome... turns out, not only is it slow, has cumbersome programming ability but you can't adjust contrast so it is difficult to read. Oh and the blue backlight is worthless. Have your pool builder install the iAquaLink that you can control with your tablet/phone... so worth it, or you will be doing it later for at least $500.

Did i I mention I have a PDA, antenna and control board for sale. :) :)
These guys are "five-hundred dollaring" me to death. To switch out the PDA, $580 more...$500 more for vsp...

Ugh, I'm not sure why they push that piece of junk and want to charge more for what amounts to less hardware. Wish I could help more. I ended up buying the iq-20 antenna for $300 and a rev. T CPU for $150 to get away from that thing. Then I look online and find the PDA and antenna sell for $500-600... seems fishy to charge more for the iAquaLink

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.