Decision made - finally - Nordic Encore LS (2020 model) - electrical question please

I do as well, still have no idea what to do.

Now getting concerned about weight issues on the deck. It has been reinforced in an 8 foot by 8 foot corner. There are concrete piers every 30" with 4x4 posts on top and lag bolted to the joists for support. There is also additional bracing between the joists as well. Composite decking on top of that. All outer posts of deck/porch are cemented 36" down into the ground and are 6x6s. Hoping this enough support (I am no engineer) but looking at the Envoy its going to be 5600lbs when full of water that is a lot of weight in an 8x8 area.

I do as well, still have no idea what to do.

Now getting concerned about weight issues on the deck. It has been reinforced in an 8 foot by 8 foot corner. There are concrete piers every 30" with 4x4 posts on top and lag bolted to the joists for support. There is also additional bracing between the joists as well. Composite decking on top of that. All outer posts of deck/porch are cemented 36" down into the ground and are 6x6s. Hoping this enough support (I am no engineer) but looking at the Envoy its going to be 5600lbs when full of water that is a lot of weight in an 8x8 area.
That sounds like a goodly amount, how high off he ground is it?

That sounds like a goodly amount, how high off he ground is it?

At most 2 feet. You can crawl underneath and work under there sort of but only if you lay on your back. It would be really tight to do so and if you are at claustrophobic I would say don't go but it can be done.

Its maybe 2 1/2 steps from ground to deck.

Joists are all 2x10s as well. I basically went by this guideline of course my deck is not the same size or layout is this but the boxed area gives you an idea of the support that was added.

1628201370791.png

Last edited:
Looks like plenty of posts, as long as they are tied together well you should be fine... joists 2 feet on center or 16 inches?
Just dont lay under there when you are filling it up!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :oops:

Looks like plenty of posts, as long as they are tied together well you should be fine... joists 2 feet on center or 16 inches?
Just dont lay under there when you are filling it up!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :oops:
If memory serves correct 16" on center. Can look things over whenever I get home. Just wish my contractor would get the job finished up. Really want this porch done!

12 additional supports under the deck in an 8 foot by 8 foot area

Attachments

• 2E73B9EF-166E-4184-B30A-C5AE0362D3D9.jpeg
    2E73B9EF-166E-4184-B30A-C5AE0362D3D9.jpeg
    655.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 5220CD83-833A-4CAC-92CC-9167CAC38978.jpeg
    5220CD83-833A-4CAC-92CC-9167CAC38978.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 15
  • C4B8D13A-A724-4E9C-AB46-E65B6077AFA3.jpeg
    C4B8D13A-A724-4E9C-AB46-E65B6077AFA3.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 4F94E5BC-EC91-4C86-837A-8645685A4CEB.jpeg
    4F94E5BC-EC91-4C86-837A-8645685A4CEB.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 16
  • 7555B7F9-4E82-4C51-BA62-DCF46729C4DE.jpeg
    7555B7F9-4E82-4C51-BA62-DCF46729C4DE.jpeg
    662.9 KB · Views: 15
12 additional supports under the deck in an 8 foot by 8 foot area
Interesting construction techniques but it should work...? I would like to see those posts tied together.. maybe bolt 2x10s between them running perpendicular to the deck joists to support the joists. Not sure from the pictures how they are attached to the deck frame or are they just jambed underneath?
That's my view from afar anyway..

Interesting construction techniques but it should work...? I would like to see those posts tied together.. maybe bolt 2x10s between them running perpendicular to the deck joists to support the joists. Not sure from the pictures how they are attached to the deck frame or are they just jambed underneath?
That's my view from afar anyway..
They are pay bolted to the joists that are there so they are going anywhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are pay bolted to the joists that are there so they are going anywhere.
Ok, hard to tell from the pictures, looks like they are just sitting underneath and cut off at that level. One even has a shim on top of it (cut too short) so I know its only that high. (3rd pic from left, 3rd post back on left)
Hence the "thats my view from afar" Still would like to see them tied together, much stronger that way..
You going to go look at that tub?

We would add that w/o too much issue I am sure. I posted this on reddit so I will add it here since this thread has my whole sorted soap opera (can't believe anyone is still reading this, lol). Essentially it has come down to what is on the list below.

So as we all know buying a tub during these times ain't easy. Most dealers don't have anything or have long lead times etc. Also many dealers don't offer wet tests (or at least that is what I am finding) but I have managed to find a few things and have no idea how I feel about it all.
Disclaimer - I have not been able to physical touch feel or sit in some of these (more on that) but they are in the running anyway.
Also original budget was 5k but know that is just not going to happen so we have accepted that it may need to be 10k but really want it to be as much less than that as possible.
NEW tubs - not much to choose from and stay under 10k that I can get now or even within the next 6 months but here goes
Vita - most any unit in the 500 series (available end of Nov if I order by Monday) - like the tub seems well built features seem good (we are not super fancy folks). Comfort was fine but dry test only . Liked the dealer he spent a lot of time talking to me about various things and didn't ding other brands much except to say that so and so is more expensive than this etc. He is a Vita and Hotspring dealer (HS tubs he won't until mid next year) -- 10k before tax but includes delivery, cover etc. No extras basically.
Nordic Jubilee Sport - have yet to get to see this one but like a lot of what I am reading and seeing. Seems well made semi-no frills tub. Dealer was fine (first person I spoke to was much better/knowledgeable, second not so much she had to keep going to look things up etc). This is in stock but the model they have has more to it than we want/need so the price is higher than I would like. Has sound system, upgraded lighting, upgraded insulation, ozone. Comes with cover and delivery nothing else (they want to sell me plenty of packages for it though) - $8700 before tax (definitely high due to the extras IMHO)
Nordic Escape Sport - same as the Jubilee (same dealer) but has less extras so the price is much more palatable. Comes with cover and delivery only - $7000 before tax
Softub Portico - liked it (saw a smaller unit not the actual portico locally) and thought it was nice. Seems very easy to setup, move, maintain etc. Still worried about roominess for 4 people (although 70% of the time it will just be my wife and I). Dealer was great and has spent tons of time with me about it. Comes with cover and starter chemicals. In stock and I can get it myself easy peezy. Seems like it would be very easy on the electric bill as well. Overpriced for what it is IMHO - $6000 before tax (FYI this is the wife's choice because it is simple and easy to deal with and move etc and we are not stuck with a beast to get rid of should we later down the line say we are done tubbin' its been a waste time to go - this is her biggest issue to be honest and why she wants to go this route - simplicity)
USED - only one used one to talk about IMHO for now as I cannot find anything worth it around me. This one isn't all that close either but seems amazing.
2016 Hot Springs Envoy NXT - super nice tub in excellent shape with all maintenance records. Has faux stone exterior (an upgrade) and all the usual niceties that this line carries. No TV or speakers which again doesn't matter to us. Comes with a lot of chemicals as they just stocked up before finding out they have to sell (get to that in a minute). Comes with cover, lifter, 30/20 amp breaker box and wiring and all the chemicals they have. This is a really nice tub based on what I see (pics, vids) and I have no less than 4 phone calls with the owners and probably spent close to 3 hours on the phone with them. They are forced to sell as the owner has ALS and has taken a turn for the worse. They are both a fall risk and can no longer use the tub hence the sale. I have spoken to the dealer that sold them unit and have confirmed the sale, the warranty and the condition of the unit (as much as anyone will say its good i.e. they basically confirmed its in good shape and runs). $7250
Sounds great right .. here is the bad (sort of).
Has to be out of the home by 8/16 as he goes in for surgery (pretty serious one from what I am being told) and would like a deal done by then. Deal could be done afterwards but he will be in recovery and away from home about 3 months.
Second issue it is 4 1/2 hours from me and I would need to use a service to move the tub from his backyard to the curb and load on a trailer or pay a service to bring it to me. Found someone but its not cheap. $500 to move it from yard and load, $1200 to bring all the way to me or at least these are the preliminary quotes I have so far.
Third issue (kind of a biggie) - I cannot see it or check it out kind of have go on faith/trust. This tub is nicer than probably anything else we could get for the money.
**Other concern with this tub is that it is a heavy beast. Our deck has been fully reinforced (concrete piers with 4x4 posts every 30 inches in an 8x8 area) in prep of a tub (this is going on a screened in porch BTW) but still this thing will be very heavy once filled 5600lbs w/o people.

Cliff notes -
NEW Vita 500 series most any model no real extras local dealer 10k - end of Nov
NEW Nordic Jubilee several extras in stock now local dealer 8700
NEW Nordic Escape no real extras in stock now local dealer 7000
Softub Portico some extras in stock now local dealer $6000
USED 2016 Hot Springs Envoy NXT available now several extras (no dealer of course) total with move cost using a hot tub mover is about $8500

Essentially I am a total loss been searching for few months (and reading) but we are ready to click buy now and struggling.
It seems the best tub for the best deal is probably the used Hot Springs. The Nordics are very enticing as they seem like a great tub and the price is not terrible. I agree with the wife on the Softub I like the easyness of it and am very interested just worried about size/comfort. The Vita is probably not in the running due to cost and not available til Nov. I don't want to pay now and wait to be bluntly honest.
Thanks for any comments you guys care to make and sorry for the long post.

So its not worth the trip to see the hot springs?? Seems to me like it would be a good investment..

maybe but I have to disagree on one part - no hot tub is worth the investment (money wise that is).

Truthfully we are leaning towards the Nordic. Wife likes them and likes that it would be new and from a local dealer thus it would have full warranty.
I found a really nice Encore LS model for a good price about 5 hours away and 1 year old (person is moving out of state and cannot take it with them).

My biggest issue with buying used is that the warranty is not transferrable or least that is what Nordic and Hot Springs have both told me when I called.

Sadly this is pretty much giving my wife major pause and she is like no we can do that unless it is the steal of the century and worth the risk.

Based on that I am guessing its going to be the new Nordic Escape at 7k or the Softub Portico - gotta keep the wife happy ya know. I prefer the Jubilee but $1700 seems steep for not much more stuff (I like the design of this one better is all). Of course getting from a local dealer makes her happier as well (and it impacts my thoughts as well but I guess I am a little more risky than she is)

Scarey to think I may actually be narrowing things down haha.

Last edited:
There with out a doubt is some value on a new tub from a local dealer! My concern with the 2 Nordics is they both have just one continuous 3 hp pump.. not sure on the jet power with that,, but you are not a big jet fan anyway...

There with out a doubt is some value on a new tub from a local dealer! My concern with the 2 Nordics is they both have just one continuous 3 hp pump.. not sure on the jet power with that,, but you are not a big jet fan anyway...

Yeah I prefer the Luxury line of options for a bit of piece of mind is all but with everything I have been reading we should be more than fine and the Nordic tubs appear well built and are a good product.

If I could find a luxury model at any other dealer within 3 hours for a not getting screwed over price I think we could prefer that.

At this point we are trying to see if there is any deal to be had on the Escape as that has a color scheme the wife likes. Not 100% certain I like the open bench seating but she does so again I guess I defer to her, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.